Chapter Fifteen: Fever

Chapter Fifteen

 “Lucas Smith, I’m going to kill you!” I screeched as I hugged my coat tighter around my body.

“Sorry,” Lucas muttered sheepishly as he once again searched his bag and pockets for his car keys.

I’m regretting my decision to ever catch a ride with Lucas. The idiot lost his car keys, and it’s freezing outside in the parking lot. A lot of students already left except for a few who were doing their clubs.

I called a meeting for the winter formal and Lucas, waited for me. I thought it was a sweet gesture up until he told me that he “kind of” lost his keys.

“I’m so sorry, Celeste,” he apologized with all sincerity making my anger fade.

Lucas had some good intentions, he was just naturally an idiot.

“It’s alright,” I tried to smile but nope, I just can’t. I hate our situation right now.

“Blake has football training so maybe we can catch a ride with him,” he suggested and I nodded.

“I’ll be inside; just text me or something if Blake arrives,” I told him before turning on my heel, and marching back into the warmth of the school heater provides.

I was still shivering, and if I didn’t think it could get any worse, I let out a loud, embarrassing sneeze.

“Bless you,” A voice chuckled.

I looked up to see it was Drew who was walking up to me with an amused expression on his face.

“Thanks,” I sniffled, “Why are you still here?”

He didn’t answer but instead he handed me a tissue which he somewhat pulled into thin air. It took some time for my brain to process, but I concluded that he didn’t want to go home. It was just like when we got locked in, he didn’t want to go see the house that placed his father in jail.

It pained me that he didn’t even feel at-home in his own house. I placed a smile on my face, and grabbed the tissue he held up to me.

“I want to visit Ariel,” I told him which caught him off guard.

“Why?” he inquired, and I only shrugged in response. Truth to be told, I just wanted to assure that he got home safely.

Being outside while in this freezing temperature isn’t exactly healthy. I was already starting to catch a cold myself.

“Come on,” I said to him, taking his hand and pulling him outside. I felt him stiffen in my hold before he finally relaxed and welcomed the feeling of my hand. Just holding his hand made me feel warm in the midst of the cold winter snow.

I spotted his bike and tugged him to its direction. Hesitantly, I let go of his hand so that he could get on.

“Let me guess, you didn’t bring your car again,” he chuckled as he strapped his helmet on my head. His fingers brushed against my skin making it tingle.

“Yup,” I grinned, before climbing onto his bike – with his help, of course.

“This time,” he started out, revving his bike, “Make sure I can breathe in your hold.”

When we started moving, all confidence left my body and was replaced with fright. Ignoring what he said, I wrapped my arms around his waist and held onto him with all my might.

“Relax,” he choked out, before turning to me when we stopped at a red light, “I won’t let you fall.”

With those words, my body instantly relaxed. The fear went out my system as I leaned into him, absorbing the warmth he gave off.