Chapter Twenty-One: Always

Chapter Twenty-One

“Celeste, are you alright?” Annabelle asked me when she sat down beside me on the couch.

Truthfully, I’m no longer  going to lie to the world, “Nope,” I drowned my beer and sat back as I felt the alcohol burn my throat, it’s exactly what I need right now.

“Okay,” she drawled out, snatching the red solo cup from my hand, “Let’s not get drunk until you tell me what’s wrong.”

“Drew is what’s wrong!” I yelled, catching the attention of some party guests that was nearby.

After waving of the little eavesdroppers that I was sure who was still listening intently to our conversation, she urged me to explain my sudden outburst.

“He’s just so complicated,” I groaned.

After he kissed me, I sat there in my car with my eyes wide in surprise. It took me a few seconds to actually kiss him back and to hold his face in my hands to savor something that I have desperately wanted to do since that day when we got locked into the school.

All things must end and that kiss was ended by a person’s need of oxygen. We just stared for a moment before he cleared his throat, said his goodbye and walked to the inside of his house.

I drove back to the party and snatched the first drink that I saw which is the reason why I’m already feeling a slight buzz.

“Boys are complicated,” she stated simply and I nodded in agreement.

“But I like him,” I confessed, pouting my lips slightly like a child.

She laughed at me, “You know, I think the alcohol is getting to you already.”

“No it’s not,” I denied though I could feel it too. It felt like the room was starting to spin and I held my head in my hands in an attempt to make it stop.

“Whatever you say,” she giggled before holding up her hands, “How many fingers am I holding up?”

I tried to count it but I started seeing doubles, “Eleven,” I guessed.

“I’m taking you home.”

“B-but,” I stuttered, “It’s Christmas.”

She shook her head and stood up, “Come on, we need to go.”

“No!” I stomped my foot childishly on the ground.

She rolled her eyes as I watch as her frustration grew stronger when she tried to pull me up but failing miserably, “Celeste Graham, you are drunk and we need to get you home.”

“You said my name,” I stated, “Hearing my name makes me want crackers.”

“What?”

“You know, graham crackers,” I giggled at my pun.

She slapped her forehead at this. Did I do something wrong? I thought it was actually funny.

“What’s going on here?” Lucas suddenly appeared. Is he a wizard or something?

“She’s drunk,” Annabelle said as she gestured to me.

I pushed myself up and took hold of Lucas’ shoulders to keep myself from falling to the ground, “You have pretty hair,” I admired as I ran my fingers through his black hair.

“How much did you drink?” he questioned as he tried to pry my hand away from his hair. He successfully did so making me so disappointed.

“About one cup of beer,” I told him, holding up three fingers.