1

"we'll be home around midnight. dinner is in the fridge, lock the doors, and don't leave the house. love you," my mother called, as she walked out the front door.

my parents were leaving all day to go to a dinner theatre in washington. it was only an hour flight, meaning it was only a day trip. they had been planning it for months.

that also meant that i was home alone for the day. my parents were always super protective over me. i wasn't allowed to do, practically anything. all my social media had to be private, and they checked it daily. when i was in school, i wasn't allowed to walk home.

i was 17 now, which made it a little more odd that they still controlled me the way they did. all of my friends always thought i was weird, and that my parents needed to take a step back.

i never really thought anything of it. i just kind of brushed it off, and reminded myself how much they care.

while my parents were gone, i decided to redo my room a little bit. i was getting a little bored of its current arrangement, and decided to add photos to the walls.

i pulled down the string to the attic steps, and carefully walked up into the attic. i pulled one box out, and pulled the top off.

the top was filled with pictures. it was a little weird that they started when i was three. there were no baby pictures or any from my first birthday. nothing.

i kept digging through the box, pulling out the various pictures that were scattered around it. i must've looked at a hundred photos before i pulled out a newspaper clipping.

it was a missing child alert for allison caylen. my breath hitched in my throat. the picture was of a three year old girl, with brown hair and brown eyes. she was wearing a pink shirt with minnie mouse on it, and a pair of black shorts. her hair was pulled into pigtails with minnie mouse clips.

i started to freak out. but it could be anybody. lots of people have brown eyes and brown hair. i studied the picture a little closer. that's when i noticed the dark brown birth mark peeking out from under the shirt. i had tears streaming down my face.

when i looked back into the box, there was a black bag with allison's coming home outfit labeled across it. when i opened it up, it was the same outfit that the girl in the picture was wearing. the little girl in the picture was me.

i quickly threw threw all the pictures back in the box, keeping the newspaper article and the clothing.

when i got back into my room, i pulled out my laptop and typed in my name. missing child reports came up, along with segments from the news.

the woman in the videos was short, with my same brown eyes. there was a little boy standing next to her.

each year, on the same day, they did a new news segment. it continued until i was eleven, and the boy was fifteen.

i quickly typed justin caylen into the search bar. when i clicked the images tab, there was no doubt he was my brother. he had the same eyes, the same round face, the same dimples, and the same curly hair.

the more research i did on him, the more famous he appeared. he was a popular youtuber, who was apart of the collab channel our second life.

i have watched their videos before, but it seemed different now. i watched their videos before i had a brother, before i knew i was kidnapped. everything seemed different now.

i clicked on the video called come meet us. it was a video of all the guys, discussing their tour. today was the last stop. it was also half an hour from my house in los angelos.

i quickly shoved a few pairs of clothes, toiletries, my laptop, phone charger, and the newspaper article and clothing into a bag. i grabbed two hundred dollars from my mother's nightstand and went out the door.

i rode a taxi all the way to the venue, quickly paying the man and standing on the sidewalk. this was happening, and i have never been more nervous in my life.

when i was at home, this wasn't as scary. but standing here, looking at the giant picture of my brother made everything more sureeal.

i could go in there and tell him i was his sister, and lose the only life i know. or i could chicken out and continue being the child of kidnappers.

before my brain was processing what was going on, my feet were moving closer to the doors. a tall man stepped in front of me before i could go in.

"do you have a ticket?" i shook my head. "then there is no entry. have a nice day."

"my name is allison caylen." he bit his lip when i said my name. it felt so foriegn coming out of my mouth.

"allison caylen was abducted when she was three, and never heard of since. i was instructed to not let any fans in. sorry."

i pulled the newspaper clipping out of the bag and handed it to him. he didn't look impressed. then i pulled out the bag of clothes and he looked at me. i pulled up my sleeve, revealing the dark birthmark on my shoulder.

he shoved the clothes back in my bag, and held the door open for me. i didn't know how i planned on explaining this to jc.

i had no plan. this was so in the spur of the moment, and i had no idea how he would react. i'm not sure if he forgot about me, or if our mom was over my disappearance by now. but, there was no going back at this point.

//

vote, comment, share