Like A Car Crash

Song: No Control by Set It Off

Chelsea

"You got the cake, right?" I questioned as Oliver appeared in the kitchen of Mr. and Mrs. Sykes' kitchen. Today was Melody's second birthday and we were having a small party with our friends and this little girl, Lilly, who lived in the apartment next to ours that Melody played with a lot when we were home. Oliver's parents had offered to have it in their backyard since we didn't really have room for everyone in our apartment.

"Yes, love," Oliver replied, kissing my cheek. He set the bags, which hopefully held the cake, chips, and soda, and the pizza boxes on the table.

"Thank you," I told him with a smile as there was a knock at the door. "Can you get that? It's probably Lilly and her mum," I ordered. Usually, I would've gotten it myself, but I had Linkin in my arms.

I could hear Oliver greet Lilly and her mum, Jenna, and invite them in. I don't think Jenna had ever met Oliver considering I had always taken Melody over to their apartment or had answered the door when Lilly came over so I'm sure she was a bit taken aback by Oliver's appearance.

"So, you're Melody's father?" Jenna questioned as they made their way into the kitchen. She had Lilly's hand in hers and a gift bag in the other and was looked shocked.

"Yep," Oliver replied as Melody came running in. Nicholls was trailing behind her, obviously struggling to keep up with her. I swear she was a ball of energy.

"Hi, Chelsea. How are you?" Jenna greeted, sending me an obviously forced smile. Jenna was nice, but she always seemed a bit stuck up. I'm surprised she let Lilly play with Melody considering I had a nose ring.

"Good. Thanks for coming," I replied, smiling back. I put Linkin back in his carrier next to Harmony who was sleeping so peacefully.

After a few minutes, the rest of Bring Me The Horizon, Nicholls' new girlfriend, whose name was Anissa, and Austin had arrived and we moved into the backyard. Weirdly enough, it was a beautiful day, especially for England. Tom and Oliver's parents soon joined us. The girls played some games I had planned, but for the most part did their favorite thing: color. For some reason, Melody could color for hours without getting bored.

"Daddy, color," Melody told Oliver after awhile. She held out her princess coloring book hopefully and he took it from her with a chuckle.

"Sure. Which one do you want me to color?" he questioned, flipping through the pages filled with Disney princesses. She picked out one that was suitable for Oliver to color and gave him her Crayons. He sat her on his lap and they colored in princess Jasmine together. I was surprised Jenna didn't die of shock. It obvious she resented everyone here just because of our body modifications. It probably never crossed her mind that someone with tattoos could be an amazing father. She was dead wrong. Oliver was the most caring, loving father I had ever met.

Oliver

It was so weird to think that Melody was already two. It seemed like just yesterday that I was holding her for the first time and thinking about how perfect and tiny she was. I had to admit that I really liked being about to do things with her instead of just look at her like when she was a baby. As weird as this sounds, I loved playing with her even if that meant coloring in princesses and playing with baby dolls. I loved every minute of it.

After everyone left, we headed home. Melody seemed pretty worn out by the day and fell asleep on the way home. She always looked so peaceful when she was sleeping. I couldn't help but smile at her in the rearview mirror. As I looked back to the road, I noticed another car that had went through a stop sign. I had been so wrapped up in how cute my daughter was that I hadn't realized it in time to get out of the way.

"Oh, my God, Oliver!" Chelsea shouted just as the car slammed into her side of the car. The next thing I knew, the windshield and windows were shattering and we were pushed to the other side of the road.

Somehow in my state of panic and utter shock, I thought to check on Melody, Linkin, and Harmony. Linkin and Harmony were crying and Melody, who was now awake, looked absolutely terrified. "Daddy," she whimpered with tears in her eyes. Instantly, I felt guilty for taking my eyes off the road for even a second even though it was kind of the other guy's fault since he had went through a stop sign. My heart sunk as I saw she had cuts from some of the glass. She looked fine other than that, though.

That's when I looked over at Chelsea. As soon as I saw her, I thought I might throw up. She sat in the passenger's seat, eyes closed, body limp. I tried to tell myself that she was fine, that she couldn't be the only one of us who wasn't fine. "Chelsea," I said. I was hoping she's open her eyes and everything would be fine, but she didn't. "Chelsea," I repeated, shaking her a bit. She just laid there motionless. I felt tears well up in my eyes. She's going to be ok, I told myself, but I didn't believe a word of it. If she was ok she'd be awake by now.

After a moment of trying to tell myself she was fine, I realized that I should probably get out and check on Melody, Harmony, and Linkin. All three of them had a few cuts, but other than that, they were unharmed, thankfully. I picked Melody up, carefully making sure she didn't see Chelsea. I didn't need to scare her more than she probably already was. She buried her head in my chest and cried. I tried to sooth her, but she just continued to bawl her little eyes.

Within a few moments, the police and an ambulance were on the scene. They asked me for a statement, which I gave them and carried Chelsea off in the ambulance. I would've went with them, but I had to stay with the kids. The whole time, I just felt like crying, but I knew I had to stay strong for Melody. But if Chelsea was dead I could never forgive myself. I didn't even know what I would do without her. I needed her. She couldn't be gone.

Thankfully, one of the policemen was great with kids and entertained Melody so I could call my parents and ask them to drive me to the hospital.

"Hi, mum. Can you drive me to the hospital?" I questioned when she picked up the phone. The depression was more than apparent in my voice. All I could think about was the sight of Chelsea in the passenger's seat.

"Oliver, is everything ok?" she asked with concern laced in her voice. I knew my mum would be pretty upset about Chelsea to. She practically considered her the daughter she never had.

"Not really. Some guy ran a stop sign and crashed into me and Chelsea... Chelsea..." I trailed off, my voice cracking. I felt the tears start to roll down my cheeks. I turned my back so I wasn't facing Melody.

"Oh, God, Oliver. Are Melody, Linkin, and Harmony ok?" she asked with pain now in her voice. I angrily wiped at my tears and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Yeah, they're fine. Can you just pick us up, please?" I replied. I really didn't want to think about the fact that everyone else was ok besides Chelsea. All I could see in my mind was her lifeless body. Why couldn't it have been me in the passenger's seat and her driving? Why couldn't I be the one who was being hauled off in an ambulance? Why was I perfectly fine while the most amazing person I knew might not make it?