I'm Counting Every Lie

Song: Angel With A Shotgun by The Cab

Chelsea

When Monday rolled around, I was actually kind of excited to go to school to see Oliver. Last week, I never would've thought I would want to go to school, but here I was ecstatic about sitting in chemistry for forty-five minutes. Oliver was waiting for me at the corner of my street just like he had the week before.

"Hey," he greeted. As we started to walk in the direction of school, I felt him slip his hand into mine. His touch sent the feeling of electricity up my arms. I looked down to see his large hand holding my tiny one. I smiled. I couldn't help it. I had never held hands with anyone before unless you count my mum when I was really little.

As soon as we set food on school grounds, it was like that bastard Chris popped out of nowhere. "So, you got a girlfriend?" he sneered, getting really close to Oliver's face. Surprising Oliver didn't seemed phased by Chris. He just walked passed Chris and towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going, fag?" I heard Chris questioned behind us. Oliver still didn't answer and I kind of admired his newfound confidence. As we entered the building, I think Chris gave up on trying to get to Oliver because he left us alone.

When reached chemistry, we sat down and talked a bit until Mr. Field came in.

The rest of the day went pretty fast and soon it was last period and I was sitting in vocal workshop waiting for Oliver. I had pulled out my book so I could read while I waited. I was there first because my class the period before was just a few rooms down.Suddenly, a pair of muscular legs in jeans came into my view. I looked up to see James standing in front of me. Why my worst enemy's boyfriend was anywhere near me was beyond me.

"What do you want?" I asked rudely. I stared up at him to see him smirking at me. Who the fuck did he think he was?

"So, I hear you're banging that emo kid," he told me. I gave him a disgusted look. Whoever his source of information was was dead wrong.

"First, he has a name, which is Oliver, and second I've know him for, like, five days," I responded a bit angrily. How dare he come over here to make false accusations about Oliver and me.

"That doesn't mean anything. You seem like the kind of person who fucks on the first date," he replied, smirking again. I knew he was just trying to get under my skin and that I shouldn't let him get to me, but I was.

"Well, I'm not," I told him, looking back down at my book to signal that the conversation was over. He didn't move though. He kept looking at me.

"A whore that doesn't like to flaunt it," he commented, getting me angry. I slowly looked up from my book. Did he just say what I thought he said?

"What did you just call me?" I asked trying not to raise my voice, but it was hard. There was no way I was going to let him get away with calling me a whore.

"You heard me. You're. A. Whore," he repeated slowly and quietly. He got closer to my face as he said the word whore. I was so tempted to punch him.

"Well, you would know one. Just look at your girlfriend," I told him with a small devilish smile. I knew that would get him mad. Him and Brittany had been together for a few years now, so I knew what I said would bother him.

Before James could say anything more, Oliver ran over to us.

Oliver

As I walked through the door to the vocal workshop room, my eyes landed on James standing in front Chelsea and man, did she look angry.

"You head me. You're. A. Whore," I heard James say. My eyes opened so wide they practically fell out of the sockets. Did he even know Chelsea?

I didn't hear what Chelsea said back because I was too busy running towards them. There was no way he was going to say that about Chelsea and get away with it. Chelsea was the most amazing person I had ever met and so far away from a whore. Where did he even get that idea?

"What did you just call her?" I asked, getting between Chelsea and James. I was furious. I had only known this girl for not even six days and I already felt like I needed to protect her; that she was, well, mine.

"I think you heard me. You're little girlfriend's a whore," he repeated. He smirked at me and it was all I could do to keep my fist from connecting with his face.

That's when the teacher walked in. "Everything ok, boys?" she asked before putting her things down. The bell rang and everyone took their seats. I shot James a death glare before sitting down next to Chelsea, who quickly stood up and asked to use the bathroom. I stood up and ran after her not even asking to leave. Fortunately, I don't think the teacher saw me, though.

"Chelsea, wait," I called after her as she made her way to the bathroom. I saw her wipe tears from her eyes. Seeing her crying again made me want to cry, too.

As soon as I reached her, I wrapped around her and she cried into my chest for a few minutes. I had seen her cry way too many times over the short time I had known her. After a few moments, she took her head off my chest and looked up at me.

"Aren't you gonna ask?" she questioned, putting her hands on my chest. I looked down at her quite confused. Ask her what? All I wanted to know was if she was ok.

"Ask what?" I wondered still confused. I used my thumb to wipe away a tear on her cheek and kissed top of her head.

"Ask me why he called me...called me...that," she stammered. I could tell she didn't want to repeat what he had said and I didn't really blame her. Those kind of things hurt.

"I could really care less, but why did he?" I asked reluctantly. I wasn't sure I wanted to know. I mean, it sounded pretty bad.

She let out a shaky sigh. "One of his friends asked me to go to this party with him last year and he got really drunk and tried to kiss me, but I wouldn't let him. So, he ended up telling everyone that I slept with him and that's why James called my a whore," she confessed. She seemed like she had been holding that in for awhile and needed to get it off her chest.

"That's terrible and you let him do that?" I asked outraged. I thought Chelsea would be the kind of girl to set anyone straight that tried to hurt her like that.

"I tried to tell everyone that it was a lie, but it really came down to my word against his and he's popular, so no one believed me," she explained, letting out another sigh. She looked so upset and broken inside that I just couldn't let go of her.

We ended up staying in the hallway for a bit before heading back to class. They were all in the middle of scales when we walked in. The teacher gave me a disapproving look before we sat down. The class went decently fast and Chelsea and I walked home holding hands even though she still seemed pretty upset still. I wished I could take away her pain, but I knew I couldn't. I really just wanted her to be happy.