Find Our Way

Song: Empire (Let Them Sing) by Bring Me The Horizon

Chelsea

My mum had actually decided to call my dad about dinner. So, there I was on Wednesday night at a restaurant staring at my parents reminisce about when they were dating. They were both getting a bit drunk from the massive amounts of wine they had each consumed already. I hadn't said one thing that whole time. We weren't even finished our entrees yet and I wanted to leave so badly. I twirled the thin strands of spaghetti around my fork and stared at them as they talk about their high school years. I shoved my food in my mouth. Why was my mum so comfortable around him? He had left us, abandoned us. He left without a second thought and here she was acting like he was her best friend I was so close to getting up and walking home. I just couldn't take it anymore.

"So, Chelsea," my father said suddenly. He turned to look at me. "Your friend I met last week, Oliver, how long have you known him?" he questioned.

"Four weeks," I responded. Wow, it had already been a month. The time had went by so fast. I hadn't even realized that it would be October soon.

"So, is it serious then?" he asked me, making my cheeks grow hot. Why the hell was he so interested in my love life? I could see if he had been there to watch me grow up, but he hadn't.

I shrugged. "I guess," I replied. I guess it was. I mean, we loved each other. That made it serious, right?

"I think he seems like a nice boy. He definitely seems like he would defend you with his life," Mum told me, giving me a smile that was only meant for me. I guess she liked that he was so protective.

"He seemed very nice when I met him," Dad agreed with a nod. I couldn't believe they agreed. Oliver was a good guy.

"Besides meeting nice boys, what do like to do?" Dad asked with a teasing smile. It felt weird that me own father had to ask me these questions. I kept telling myself he didn't love me, but something told me he cared deep down.

"Read, listen to music," I replied with a shrug. I was guessing my likes were new to my mum. Neither of them knew anything about me. Thinking that way made me kind of sad.

"Music! What kind do you like?" he questioned as if it wasn't obvious. I mean, anyone who looked like I did obviously was into some pretty heavy stuff.

"Rock, metal, pop punk," I answered, shrugging. His eyes showed a look of shock. What did he think I was into? Pop?

"Really. Didn't think most teenage girls were into that kind of stuff," he told me, taking a sip of his drink. Could he not look at me and tell I wasn't like everyone else? I thought it was pretty obvious.

"I'm not most teenage girl," I replied, looking at him. I could practically see him judging me from across the table. How dare he come back here and expect some perfect, 'normal' daughter and then judge me when he realized I was neither of those things.

He was silent like he didn't know what to say to that. No one talked until my mum told him how good in school I was and then he asked me about that, but something had changed. I no longer felt like there was a chance that he would like me. Even though I said I didn't like him, I thought he might my one last chance to be accepted by a relative. Again, I had been naive to think that someone would accept me for me. I didn't talk much the rest of the meal. I just really wanted to leave and be left alone.

Oliver

Now that I was done with that guidance counselor shit with Chris, my afternoons were free. I had been spending a lot of time with the guys. Over the last few weeks, we had become pretty close. We just clicked, I guess. Anyway, it was Wednesday night. Chelsea had went out to dinner with her parents and the guys and I were working on a new song. Well, actually we had taken a break when Matt N's mum brought down snacks.

"So, Oliver, things going well with Chelsea? Or should I make my move next time I see her?" Matt K joked. He sipped his Coke as heat ran through my cheeks. I always seemed to get embarrassed just by thinking about her.

"Things are going good," I replied. I couldn't even imagine Matt K and Chelsea together, but he was only joking thankfully.

"Dammit," he said with a laugh. He was obviously still kidding even though I knew he thought Chelsea was hot.

"Bang 'er yet?" Matt N asked nonchalantly. My eyes bugged out at his question and I felt my cheeks get even more hot. They felt like they were on fire. "God, mate, I was only kidding," he told me quickly after seeing my face. I blew out a sigh of relief.

"Maybe we should get back to work," Lee suggested, putting down the his cookie. Matt N.'s mum was a really good baker and as a result, I had consumed about six of her cookies.

"Good idea. We'll put Oli out of his misery," Curtis agreed, making me smile. I guess my discomfort was pretty obvious. I picked up the pen and my notebook that I had abandoned when Mrs. Nicholls came down the snack and reread what I had written so far.

I had written a lot more songs than I had realized. Some of them were crappy, but I really liked others. They all made me think about what was happening at the time I wrote them. It was like reflecting back on the last few years of my life. I hadn't let everyone read them for feedback. I really hated when people read my work because I wasn't sure if it was good enough. I knew I was going to have to get used to it if I'm going to be in a band, but I just didn't want anyone to think I wasn't good enough. I guess I was a bit insecure. Everyone loved most of them and told me what they thought would make it better. They all seemed to smile knowingly at the last few songs because the ones at the end were all about Chelsea. I usually didn't write love songs, but that had been all I could think of to write about lately. I guess it was because I had never been in love before. It also didn't help that I was practically head over heels for her.

"You know that there this local show next month at one of the venues in town. We should sign up to play," Lee told us suddenly. My ears perked up at the sound of a show. I wanted so badly to stand up in front of a bunch of people and perform. It was my dream.

"That sounds awesome, but do you think we'll be ready?" Curtis responded. He had a good point. We'd probably get to play for a half hour, which would be about seven or eight songs. I might be able to memorize the lyrics, but I'm sure it would be hard for everyone else.

"I think if we work really hard we could do it," Lee replied. Both Matts seemed to agree, so we began to figure out what songs we could play and Lee said he'd go sign us up the next day after school. To be honest, I couldn't wait.