January 10, 2012

triggering post is triggering. 

Hells bells, I feel like I've just fought a war. My resolution for the new year was not to cut, and I've been counting since the 31st of Dec because I always lost count. 10 days. A lifetime. Two lifetimes.

Gerard is helping my ride this out. If I just wait until the urge gets under control again, I'll be okay. My chest already feels a bit lighter.

Okay, on a good note, well, several good notes, I went to a bookstore yesterday and got lots of new books. Well, most of them were books I love and already read, a few were sequels of other books I loved. I'm really picky about what I read; I hate wasting time reading something I'm not madly in love with, even if it's just checking it out from the library. Much less buy a book I've never read. So, I tend to stick with series that I know, authors that I know write good books and such.

I guess my prefered genre is Realistic Fiction, young adults. I want to write those kinds of books. I think YA books have just as much merit as the books written for middle agged folk with tired eyes and old cars. All of the books that changed me the most, and helped me build my style were read between 13-16. Prime molding age for the mind, I guess.

I stumbled upon Goodreads.com, and created an account. Made a list of the books I've read - that I can remember, but in terms of looking for new reads, I'm too picky to find a book online.

I have to be able to feel the book. The weight of it, the feel of it's pages. In terms of requirements a book has to meet, it has to be over 300 pages - which is still nothing - or I can't be bothered with it. 400+ is okay. 500+ is better. But anything over 600 makes me drool. I love the feeling of a heavy, long book.

I know what you may be thinking, Read Harry Potter!

No.

It's nothing personal, I'm just not keen on magic. It's not practical, and it just doesn't appeal to me. I assure you, I'm not one of those I Hate It Because Everyone Loves It I'm Such a Non-Conformist people. I'm just not drawn to it, but I do say that J.K Whatsit is very talented and deserves every bit of recognition she's gotten. Well done, Ms. Whatsit.

 I've watched a few movies, to get a taste, and I never got involved. I guess, because I was never allowed to watch them as a kid - witchcraft is ebil you know - they have no sentimental value for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on something, but I only feel that way after visiting Tumblr.

I admit openly to reading the Twilight series, in a fit of maddness. But after re-reading each book over and over, I uncovered things that you don't see the first read through. Edward is controling, a stalker, has no trust in Bella, violent in some aspects. Bella, well I just want to cut her. Her personality is so dull that it should be illegal.

What are kids going to learn from those books? That you only matter if you have a boyfriend? That if you don't have a boyfriend, life isn't worth living? That's just sick. Bella stays in the fucked relationship when she could go out on her own. But no, we gotta keep the women in the kitchen.

Breaking Dawn, don't even get me fucking started. The werewolf...falls in love with the baby.

Meyer, water you doing. Stop.

There's my rant, in short.

John Green is my god, Looking For Alaska is my bible. Read anything by John Green, I swear you won't regret it. Oh, and Laurie Halse Anderson. Her too. Louise Rennison is a total craxk up and you should read all of her works too.  

 I have provided a link to my Goodreads account, click if you wish, there you can see the books I love. But really...

John

Green.

Now.

- Jor