Thirty-two - Done

Final chapter :'( Enjoy!

- Sorry for any grammar errors -

Drew’s POV

I was making my way to the beach and it was quiet. But when I got closer, I started hearing sounds of people talking. Their voices were coming out loud but I couldn’t figure what they were talking about. I knew it was a girl and boy but I didn’t recognize them. Then it went quiet again and I thought that I should go check what was happening.

Now here I am, looking at her.

I can’t believe my eyes. She’s laid on the sand while her eyes sting with tears. Her quiet sobs are breaking my heart. What happened? Why is she crying? I start thinking about the reasons and I start to figure things out. She’s wearing a dress, probably the one Wes bought her and it’s too early, the formal isn’t over yet. Why is she here and not with Wes? A bad feeling runs through my body. I just hope this isn’t Wesley’s fault.

I take a few steps closer to her, making the sound of her sobs get louder. She stops crying. Oh my god, I just wanna hug her and sooth her. But then again, is that the right thing to do? I shouldn’t do it, should I? I mean, it’s obvious that she needs someone to be next to her and Wes isn’t here. But I said to myself that I would stay away from her. I haven’t seen her in a while and even though she’s crushed, she still looks beautiful. She’s still the girl I fell in love with.

“Madi-“ I can’t finish saying her name because she immediately cuts my words like a knife.

“Did you forget something Wes?” I see her standing up and ripping the bracelet off of her wrist. She looks so angry and so sad. Now I know it was Wes who did this to her. “Oh wait, yes you did. Take this fucking bracelet with you-“ she finally looks up at me and freezes. She wasn’t expecting it to be me, she was expecting Wes. “Drew?” she says my name in such a soft tone, reminding me of when she used to say it all the time. I missed it.

She runs in my direction and hugs me with all the strength she has.

Oh Madison.

Tears start streaming down her face again and now they’re falling on my shirt. I wrap my arms around her and hug her back, resting my chin on top of her head. I wish I could do this every day.  I wish I could make her feel better every day while she was with me. I want that so bad. But I know she just sees me as a friend and nothing more. Probably wanting to be away from her wasn’t the best idea that came to my brain because obviously she needs me and I need her.

I stroke her back while she tries to catch her breath again. I wanna listen to what she has to say but for that she needs to calm down. Then she looks up at me with her eyes shining from all the water she had just spilled and I swear I’m having a huge fight with my own body to not kiss her. One of her tears falls and ends at the corner of her mouth. With my thumb, I wipe it away and a small smile appears on her beautiful face.

“Thank you” she says, making my insides twist. She has such a huge power of making me feel like this. But why is she thanking me? I didn’t do anything, I didn’t say anything. My heart is telling me to kiss her right now but I can’t, not now, not ever. Wes is dating her, or at least, was dating her. Did they break up? Is that why she’s crying?

“What happened? Where’s Wes?” I ask while she looks away, letting her last tears roll down her cheeks. She holds the bracelet so tight so that I can see the veins on her wrist getting visible. She’s angry, I can tell that. I force her to look at me, putting one of my hands on one of the sides of her face.

“Madison, you can talk, I’m here” I feel her getting tensed up while she takes a few steps back. I still have my guitar on my back but I quickly put it down and sit, gesturing her to sit down next to me. She sits down and I slide my arm over her because she must be cold. I don’t have a jacket here so the warmth of my body should be enough.