Chapter 20

Demi woke up with a cool breeze hitting her. She opened her eyes slowly and saw a bright yellow light. She blinked a little bit more to adjust her blurry eyes sight. She sat up as slowly as she could. She groaned as the pain took over her body. She started rubbing her eyes but jumped when the door opened suddenly.

Joe walked in with a hot breakfast. Kevin followed after him holding a bouquet of red roses. Joe smiled, “’Morning, Demi.”

Demi smiled softly, “Hi,” she said, her voice raspy.

Kevin walked forward and handed her the roses. Demi smiled, grabbing the roses. “Here you go. Special Delivery,” Kevin said, smiling.

Demi smiled wide, “You didn’t have to.”

Kevin shook his head, “It wasn’t from me.”

Demi squinted at him confused, “Then from whom?”

Kevin looked at Joe and smiled. Joe chuckled, “Santa came early this year.”

Demi smiled at Joe’s lame joke. She put the roses on the nightstand next to the bed and smiled as Joe put the food on her lap. “Bacon and eggs,” Joe said cheerful.

Demi smiled as wide as she could, “Oh my god, this is amazing,” she looked up at the boys. “Thank you so much.”

Kevin shrugged, “We’re only delivery boys. We didn’t plan it.”

Demi smiled while biting into her bacon. “Then who was it?”

Kevin bit his lip, smiling. Joe shrugged, trying to make the answer less awkward. “Nick.”

Demi felt a smile creep onto her face, but her mood turned around when she thought about what he did. Her smile slowly faded, “Oh. Tell Nicholas I said thanks.”

Joe and Kevin both sighed. Kevin looked at Demi, “We will. Well, we’re going to get going.” Demi nodded.

The boys walked to the door. Kevin let Joe walk out first. Kevin stopped and turned to Demi. “You should talk to him, Demi.”

Demi looked down, “Tell him I said thanks for breakfast.” Kevin sighed and walked out. Demi felt the tears well up in her eyes thinking about her first time making love to Nick. She could feel his hands traveling her body, his body fitting perfectly into hers. She missed him. But she missed the quiet, nervously, Nick. The Nick who would always get embarrassed at every little thing. She missed the way he would say ‘I love you’ and sound like he would die without her.

She missed the “fake” Nick.

She suddenly lost her appetite and placed her piece of bacon back on the plate. She moved the plate out of her way and climbed off the bed very slowly. She walked along the bed with her hand gliding along it. She wanted to take precaution just in case she might’ve fallen.

She walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower to as hot as she could take. She let the bath tub fill up while she sat on the toilet. She looked around the bathroom and saw a small, shiny object on the sink counter. She leaned forward just enough to grab it.

She examined it, flipping it around in circles. It was Joe’s shaving razor.

It looked taunting. She felt an urge to do something with it. It was meant for something, she thought. She slid it across her skin, feeling the cold metal. She pulled it away, and it fell to the floor. She groaned and carelessly picked it up by the wrong end. She heard a loud thud, and she gripped onto it tightly, slicing into her palm. She screamed and dropped it immediately. Through her pain, she ran to the sink and rinsed ice cold water onto the wound.

“Ow, ow, ow,” she mumbled to herself through the stinging. She squirt soap onto the cut, and she groaned out louder in pain.

She heard a loud knock on the door. She kept rinsing her cut and kept her groans quiet. “Dems, you okay?”

She knew that voice and nickname, and she couldn’t help but smile. She continued to rinse her hand, “Uh, yeah, I’m fine.”

He knocked again, “Are you sure?”

She nodded to herself, “Yeah.”

The man on the other side of the door furrowed his eyebrows together. He put his hand on the doorknob and turned slowly. He poked his head around the door and saw Demi at the sink rinsing the blood. He rushed in and ran his hand through his hair, seeing the blood dripping into the sink. He felt queasy smelling the iron in her blood.

He gagged slightly, “What happened?”

She looked at him confused, “I accidently cut myself.”

He pushed back a curl that was in his face and nodded. He kept smelling the overwhelming iron and her gagged again. He held up his hand in the air and moved to the next sink, throwing up his dinner from the night before.

Demi looked over at him and giggled. “Are you sure you’re okay, Nicholas?”

He shook his head and groaned, throwing up again. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and lifted his face out of the sink. “You should really cover up that cut.” He looked over at Demi and saw her just looking at him.

An awkward silence filled the room.

Nick looked down and started walking slowly out of the bathroom. “I’m so sorry,” he mumbled. He turned around and walked out. “I love you,” he said to himself as he closed Joe’s bedroom door behind him.

Demi looked around the empty bathroom. She felt her heart break a little more. She sighed and looked at her hand.

One of the many scars about to come, she thought.