Chapter 5

Demi walked out of the shower and looked into the mirror. She sighed sadly. Why doesn’t he love me? She thought. She sighed again and wrapped a towel around her body. She turned to her right and opened the door that separated the bathroom and Nick’s bedroom.

Slowly, she opened it and poked her head around it. She saw Nick sleeping on the bed, and she giggled slightly. She grabbed the T-shirt and boxers Nick had handed her from off the sink and walked into the bedroom.

He’s asleep, so I’ll just change out here, Demi thought.

She dropped the towel and walked to his dresser to see if Nick had a comb she could use. She opened a couple of drawers, and she found one.

Yes! She cheered in her head. She started to untangle to knots in her hair and sang to herself softly.

“And the black keys… never looked so beautiful…” She trailed off as she looked into the mirror on Nick’s dresser and saw Nick wide eyed, looking at her. “Ahh!” she screamed and dropped to the floor. She crawled over to the towel, “Nick, I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry.” She apologized as she crawled. She reached the towel and wrapped it around her body and lied on the floor. Nick lifted himself off the bed and walked quickly over to her, crouching beside her.

 Nick stuttered, “No, I-I should be sorry. I should’ve said something.”

 Embarrassed, Demi noticed she was showing a lot of cleavage and tried pulling the towel more over her. Nick had his knee on the end of the towel, and when Demi pulled on it, Nick fell on top of her. He adjusted himself and ended up straddling her. Nick looked at Demi, and his eyes roamed up her body until they met her eyes. Demi felt her face heat up as she stared straight into Nick’s eyes. Closing her eyes, she felt his hot breath on her face.

She spoke in a whisper, “I’m sorry.”

 Nick saw his opportunity to do the one thing he wanted most. He felt his heart race as he let his eyes flutter closed. He spoke softly, “Can I… kiss you?” he asked.

 Demi nodded her slightly as she felt her heart beating in her head. “Yeah,” she said, barely audible.

Nick slowly lowered his face to hers. He brushed his lips against hers but hadn’t kissed her yet. He pulled his face away slightly as he felt a shock flow through his body. He started lowering his face down to her again until there was a banging at the door. Nick pulled away and looked at the door, then to Demi. Demi returned the stunned look at him as he looked at her. They both immediately looked at the door when the man on the other side of the door started yelling.

 “Nick, we can’t find Scarlett! It’s pass curfew!” the guard yelled.

 “Joe,” Nick said to himself. He looked back at Demi then pushed himself off the ground. He helped Demi up and started pushing her toward his office. He whispered in her ear, “Scarlett, go to your room. I’ll take of Joe, okay?”

 Demi nodded, “Okay, but am I in trouble?” she asked innocently.

 Nick shook his head and opened the door to his office. He turned her around, “You’re not in trouble, but you need to get to your room as soon as possible. Please, hurry.”

She nodded and turned around into his office. Nick sighed and walked over to his bedroom door. He took a deep breath and opened the door, revealing a stunned Joe looking at him.

 “Nick, we can’t find Scarlett. We have no idea where she is,” Joe said panicky.

 Nick had a worried expression on his face as he saw Demi jog down the hallway quietly. Nick nodded, “Okay, why don’t I go look?”

 Joe nodded and moved out of his way with Nick walking out of his bedroom and down the hallway.

 ---

 Demi jogged around the corner as soon as Nick walked out of his bedroom. She ran into her room and closed the door quietly. Selena and Miley were already gone and with Liam and Selena waiting in Joe’s room. Demi hopped onto her bed and took out a magazine. She flipped it open as soon as Joe and Nick walked in.

She looked up, trying to act stunned. “Joe, Mister, what are you doing here?”

 Nick released a quiet breathe, smiling secretly at Demi. Demi smiled back, and Joe was surprised. “But I- And you- Over there- and now here- and ugh! I give up. I’m leaving. I’m holding up Selena. Later, Nick. Bye, Scarlett.” Joe walked away, and Nick smiled.

 Nick chuckled, “Night, Scar.”

 Demi’s eyes lit up. No one ever gave her a nick name. She smiled, “Bye, Mister.” Nick gave a toothy grin and closed her door. Demi got up from her bed quickly and put on a gown. She turned back around, lied on her small bed, and went to sleep.

 ---

He held the knife to my throat. I struggled as his guards held me down. “Please, don’t hurt me!” I yelled.

 He only laughed, “You’re pathetic.” He spat on me and moved the knife from my throat to my bare stomach. He sliced across swiftly, and I screamed out in pain. I felt my head spin and everything blackened.

 I felt myself regain consciousness, and I was shivering. I slowly opened my eyes and blinked, trying to clear my vision. I heard a sniffle and footsteps in the darkness. I moved my hand and scratched it against the hard concrete. I groaned out in pain, with the footsteps stopping. They started to get louder and stopped right in front of me. I smelled a hint of vanilla, and it got stronger as I was pulled against something rock hard yet pillow soft. I wrapped my arms around the person’s neck as he carried me.

“It’s going to be okay,” he said into my matted charcoaled-colored hair. I inhaled the vanilla and allowed my mind to wonder into the wonderful world of sleep.

 The scene changed, and I was back to the man with the knife against my throat. He laughed and sliced once.

 ---

 Demi screamed and woke up drenched in sweat. She felt herself shaking as she looked around the dark room. She shook her head and lifted herself from the bed. She walked out into the hallway and closed her door behind her. The moans of her friends filled the quiet hallway, and she cringed.

Demi walked toward the end of the hallway. With each second, she increased her speed and started to jog, fear taking over every fiber of her being. She stopped in front of the large door and opened it slowly. She walked in and stopped, seeing the curly haired man sprawled across his bed.

She walked up to the edge of it, stopping and whispering, “Nick.” Nick didn't move one bit, so she spoke again. “Nick,” she said a bit louder. With nothing happening, she yelled out of fear, “Nick!” Nick jumped and saw Demi.

 “Scarlett?” he asked, rubbing his eyes.

Demi nodded in the darkness, tears streaming down her cheeks. Nick moved to one side of the bed, and Demi jumped onto it, cuddling into Nick’s chest. She let the tears run down her cheeks as she remembered her horrid nightmare. She sniffled loudly.

“It’s going to be okay, Scar.” Nick started to rub her back, trying to calm her. Demi felt herself calm down and her eyelids drooping. Fighting it too long, she let her mind wonder off. Nick continuec rubbing Demi’s back as she slept. He let his mind drift back to when she was waking him up.

How did she know my name? he asked himself.