Chapter 22

Nick was sitting at his desk, fiddling with his hands. He was trying to figure out a way to get Demi to forgive him. He sighed and looked up slightly, noticing his doorknob was turning. He looked up completely and smiled as Demi walked in.

She turned around, closing the door behind her. Nick stood up slowly, hoping Demi would stay. “Hey, Dems,” he said timidly.

Demi turned around, “Hi,” she whispered awkwardly. Nick walk forward and stopped a couple feet in front of her. As he was about to say something, Demi interrupted him. “Nick, I need to talk to you.”

Nick nodded and a small grin appeared on his face. He couldn’t help but smile. He felt like it was when he first met her; he was shy, afraid to say anything. He nodded at Demi to continue. “Nick, why did you lie?”

Nick felt his smile fade away. All he wanted to say was that he loved her and did it so he would save her life, but he knew she would never believe him. He took a deep breath, “I did it so you wouldn’t get killed.”

Demi felt tears well up in her eyes. “You could’ve just told me what happened, and I would’ve just had sex with you so we wouldn’t have died.”

Nick looked down. “It wasn’t just sex,” he mumbled to himself.

Demi heard him grumble something, but she couldn’t make it out. “What?”

Nick looked up, “It wasn’t just sex, Dems,” he walked forward and grabbed her hands. “It was the best thing that ever happened in my life. It was my dream come true.”

Demi looked at their hands. She felt hot, electric shocks going through her body. She pulled her hands away so it would stop. She shook her hands slightly, and the stinging in her palm returned. She closed her hand, hoping Nick didn’t notice.

Nick felt sticky goo on his hand, and he looked at his palm. He saw a red slash across his hand. He looked at Demi, and she was looking down. He cleared his throat, “How did you get that cut?” he asked shakily.

Demi looked away, “I fell and cut my hand. No biggie.”

Nick put his index finger on her chin and turned her face to meet his. “It is something,” he reached out for her hand. “Here, let me see it.”

Demi jerked her hand away, “No, I’m fine.”

Nick tried again and this time successfully grabbed it. He flipped her hand over and saw the long gash. He gasped at how deep the cut was. “Dems, what happened?” he asked while still examining the wound.

She tried to pull her hand away, but it was no use. “I cut it like I said.”

Nick started to feel anger build up in his core. He tried to keep himself calm, “This wasn’t just falling and cutting your hand. This was something more. Now, tell me how you got it.”

Demi wanted to tell him how she slowly felt like she was dying inside. How Nick’s lie is painfully killing her soul. She wanted to tell him, but she couldn’t. She might be hurting, but that doesn’t mean she wants to tell him. “I cut it, Nick. Like I said I did.”

Nick turned his back to her and threw his arms up in the air. He couldn’t keep his anger in any longer. “Yeah, you cut it, but it was something major!” he turned back to her. “Dems, you might think I lied to you, but I didn’t. What happened to your hand?”

Demi brought her hand up to examine it herself. There was a purplish color around it, and it was slightly bleeding. She brought her other hand up and let her index finger slide gently across it. It stung slightly but not as bad as before. She looked back at Nick and looked down ashamed. “Nick, I did cut it… by accident but by negligence, also.”

Nick walked forward and stood only a couple feet in front of her. He opened his arms, asking for permission if he could hug her. Demi looked up and bit her lip, feeling heat fill her face. She slowly walked forward and stood in his arms. Nick wrapped his arms around Demi but didn’t feel her hugging back. At the moment, he didn’t care. He liked just standing there with her in his arms. Nick whispered, “Please, if that’s about me,” he pulled away and looked at her, “never do it again.”

Demi nodded, and Nick brought her back into the hug. This time Demi hugged back. She dug her head into his chest, inhaling his sweet vanilla scent.

Nick buried his face into her hair, taking in her strawberry shampoo. Out of all the moments he spent with Demi, Nick thought this was the best one. He smiled and hugged her tighter. Demi pulled away enough so she could look up into Nick’s eyes. She let her eyes flicker to his lips, seeing a smile form on his perfect face. She smiled a little more and lifted herself forward. She let her lips brush against his, but she stopped, feeling more nervous than she’s ever been in her entire life.

Nick stood dazed from her unpredictable action. He let his eye lids flutter closed as she stood on her tippy toes. He finished what she started by completely bring his lips to hers. Demi kissed back immediately while Nick walked forward, pushing Demi against the wall. He let his body close any space separating the two.

At that moment, Demi completely forgot about her problems. She forgot about the “lie” Nick told her. She forgot her past. She forgot about what Paul has done to her. She forgot about everything except for the undying love she has for the very man who broke her heart then sowed it back together.

Demi pulled away to catch her breath and met her lips to his once again. She let her fingers get tangled in the forest of curls. She tugged at them slightly as his tongue forced its way into her mouth and danced with hers.

Nick pulled away after a couple of seconds breathless. He let his eye lids flutter open to stare in Demi’s chocolate orbs. He let a toothy grin show. He felt his face start to burn after smiling for a minute. He chuckled embarrassed, “Um, I’m sorry?”

Demi replied with a smile, “It’s totally fine.” Nick chuckled and pecked her lips. He pulled away and brought his lips to hers again. Once, twice, three times he returned, smiling throughout.

He pulled away and smiled, “I won’t rush you into anything because right now, I don’t deserve you.”

Demi giggled and wrapped her arms around his muscular torso, “How are you such a gentleman?”

Nick chuckled, “I’m not that much of one.”

Demi giggled, “Well, right now, you just got some awesome points.” Nick chuckled and pulled away pecking lips Demi once more.

He smiled while looking into her eyes, “I love you so much.”

Demi’s smile faded a bit. She looked down and started fiddling with her fingers that were behind Nick’s back. “Nicholas, I-”

Nick smiled and pulled her close to his body once again. He whispered into her ear, “Its fine. Tell me when you’re ready.” Demi nodded and closed her eyes, savoring the moment.