Chapter 33

Demi walked down the hallway, holding her tiny baby bump. She felt a little stir in her stomach, causing her to smile.

“I love you, baby,” she said in a low whisper. “I love you very much. Just as much as I love your daddy.” With each word, a smile grew bigger on her lips.

Demi continued to whisper ‘I love you’ to her little fetus. She walked through the white hallway, being led by the faint smell of old pizza and stale potato chips. To her, it smelled disgusting, but somehow it was still appetizing. She strolled into the large dining room area, millions of different smells overwhelming her nostrils.

Demi peered around the cafeteria, her eyes landing on different tables. There were men in white coats, sitting and laughing with each other at one table. She switched her eyes to a different table. As the other table, there were more men enjoying each other’s company.

Demi smiled and started walking toward the buffet of greasy, disgusting yet appealing food.

---

Back at the house, Joe and Kevin laughed with Selena and Danielle, along with the other girls. They laughed for a couple of minutes before Danielle tapped Kevin’s knee.

“Kevin,” she whispered into his ear, “we should go see how Nick’s doing.”

Kevin nodded and stood up. Joe and Selena caught onto what they were doing and excused themselves from the rest of the group.

The girls followed the guys as they headed out of the door. Sauntering toward the front door, Joe started to wonder. I wonder what happened to Dad, he thought. He took a couple of steps before he abruptly stopped.

He cleared his throat to retrieve the attention of the others. “Guys,” he spoke, all their eyes on him, “do you know what happened to Dad?” Fear was clear in Joe’s voice.

Kevin looked at him wide-eyed before he ran down the hallway toward Nick’s office.

---

The door opened with a thump as it hit the wall. Kevin pushed himself past the others and ran to Nick’s desk. He opened the right drawer quickly, pencils and pens sliding around in it. He looked up at Joe out of breath.

“Are you sure you put it in here?”

Joe nodded and ran forward. “I swear I put it in this drawer.” He bumped Kevin out of the way and started franticly searching in the almost empty drawer. “Where is it?” he asked himself.

Danielle and Selena turned toward each other. Selena nudged Danielle with her elbow. “What are they looking for?” she asked her.

Danielle shrugged and looked forward. “Guys,” she said, “what are you looking for?”

Joe and Kevin looked up from the desk and appeared petrified. “The gun,” they said together.