Sorrow and Truth - Chapter Fifteen

Sara

Lottie gently fixed my veil, tightened my corsets and got me ready for my wedding with Lord Roroth Brenkington. If I heard grandfather clearly, then this means I am getting wed to the man who murdered Vattias Akika all those years ago.

Why did he not get caught? I asked myself. Murder is such a horrible and such a serious crime. Why would someone do this?

Vath...

I bet he is very happy right now. It seems as if for one of us to be happy, the other must sacrifice their happiness. Maybe they are making children with one another, so they can have their own little mutated corpse babies. Haha, what a sight to see.

Acts of homosexuality is forbidden in these countries. In fact, I believe it is forbidden all over the world. Homosexuals can bring shame upon their families. It is enough for you to get exiled.

Oh, wait. I thought. Vath has already been exiled.

"Miss Sara, we must leave for the church now." Lottie informed me, walking over to my side.

"I used to think my wedding was going to me happy." I choked back tears. "Now I feel like I am caught in the tide, pulled out to sea..."

"The sea leads to many places, dearie." Lottie replied. "M.... maybe you'll land somewhere better." She tried not to cry, and caressed my cheek.

We both left my room, and for the church.

* * * * *

"With this candle." Roroth spoke, with a smirk. "I will light your way in darkness." He put the candle on the altar, while I looked down. This was wrong, he looked like my grandfather exactly, only with a different hairstyle.

"With this ring." He slipped it on my finger. "I ask you, to be mine." I was like a dead weight. I just stood there, dead inside. I was ready to live an unhappy life for the rest of my being. I closed my eyes to attempt to leave this place.

"I now pronounce you, husband and wife." The priest told us; I heard it clearly, and it looked like I was not able to escape.

Izumi

He kept his arms wrapped around my waist, snoring lightly into my back. The good thing about last night, was that he didn't let me experience any pain; because he let me take the lead. I looked behind me to see Vath, drooling on my shoulder; with a smile on his face.

I flipped over to wrap my arms around him, stroking his hair once more. I had to admit; if you don't look at his rotting cheek, he looks like he's still alive.

He yawned and stretched, this made his ears violently twitch and perk up. He slowly opened his cold, soulless pink eyes to meet gazes with me. "G...greetings..." Vath muttered, covering his face with his hair. It seems as if he's remembered what happened last night.

"Hi." I smiled, fixing the hair out of his face. He gave me a small smile in return, looking at me right in the eyes. "Would you like to get up?" He asked me. "It is quite late, after all."

I hugged him tighter. "Nah, I think we should just stay here." I told him, rubbing my face against the crook of his neck. I rubbed his back slowly, keeping a big smile on my face.

I don't know what's wrong with me. But for some reason, this feels right. I just feel so happy...
"I thank you." Vath interrupted my thoughts, snuggling into my neck. "It has been so long ever since I felt like this. I thank you." He muttered, choking on tears. I continued to rub his back, slowly humming to him.

But then; suddenly, at the back of my mind...

Sara.

I immediately flinched. How could I have been so stupid?
I was here making a dead man happy, while my future wife was being wed to someone she probably didn't even love. Why was I doing this? Why wasn't I helping Sara instead?

I got out of the bed, fetching my clothes. "W... wait!" Vath pulled me back. "Where are you going?" He asked, tilting his head to the right. I put my lilac hair in a single plait, hanging it loose. "I'm sorry, I just need some time alone right now; is that alright?" I apologised, then walked off without a reply.

"I...Izu..." Vath trailed off, pulling the blankets over his head.

I rushed and rushed downstairs to reach the bottom. I sat on a bench, getting out the flowers from the vase on the Akika's piano. I sighed with guilt, stroking the petal of the rose. "I'm too late..." I muttered, then dropped the rose on the ground.

* * * * *

"I..Iaoda..." I heard a gentle voice. "This cannot be true! I refuse!"
What..?
Had Vath gone looking for me?

I slowly opened the nearby door a crack, just so I could hear and see what was going on. "It is true." The pale man sighed. "There are severe complications with your marriage to the young man."

"I...I do not understand..." Vath replied, biting his lip and looking around.

"The vows are binding only until death do you part." Iaoda informed Vath, folding his arms while Bard looked through Iaoda's huge book.

"Death has already happened to one of you, this makes you already parted." Iaoda revealed the truth.
Vath gasped, and was in such shock that he needed to sit down. "I...if he finds out, then he will leave me...!" Vath panicked. "T-there must be a way to undo what has been done! I will do anything!"

"Well, there is one way..." Iaoda trailed off. "O-oh PLEASE! I want to tell him!" Bard interrupted, with a huge smirk on his face. "It requires the greatest sacrifice." Iaoda informed Vath, ignoring Bard. "G-go on.." Bard chuckled. "Get to the good part.."

"W...what good part?" Vath asked, with a hint of anxiety in his voice, but still sounded ever so flamboyant and soft.

"WE HAVE TO KILL HIM!" Bard shouted, cracking up with laughter.

"W...WHAT?!" Vath screamed in reply. Iaoda signalled him to calm down, so he could continue with his findings. "Izumi would have to give up the life he had before he met you, forever. He would say his vows in the land of the living and drink the Wine Of Eternal Slumber." Iaoda told Vath and Bard.

"Poison!" Vath shook, turning over to the fireplace. It was obvious that he was doing his best to hold back his tears, to be strong. "The wine of eternal slumber would stop his heart, forever. Only then he would be free to give it to you." Iaoda sighed, with a hint of sympathy in his voice.

I was so shocked that I had to cover my hands with my mouth. Vath stood stock still, like a doll. I wondered if he was alright.

He suddenly came to life. "I could never ask him to do such a thing." He admitted, falling to his knees. Before the pale man named Iaoda could speak, I walked in. "You don't have to." I told Vath, which made him look up. "I'll do it." I smiled at Vath, which made him even more upset.

"My boy, if you choose this path, you may never return to the land above. Do you understand?" Iaoda asked me, his beard shaking as he spoke. I sighed, holding my hand out to Vath. He took it gratefully, as I helped him stand up. "I'll do it." I said again, looking at Vath.

There was a ghost of a smile on his face, for just a second. But I knew that he was happy about my decision.