Guilt And Insanity - Chapter Thirteen

Izumi

I slowly made my way downstairs to the winding corridor. I felt like I was walking for ages, until I finally made it to the Skullduggery Tavern, a place where the undead would socalise and drink lager until they collapsed.

There were two people that could help me. There was Bard, the local performer and Chief, the bartender. If they knew the underground in and out, they could help me track down Vath.

"Hello." I greeted the bartender, sitting down on a stool. "Waddya want?" Chief grumbled, wiping the table. "Would ya like a pint? Or something else?"

"Actually, I'm not here for a drink. I'm here to look for someone." I replied. "Have you seen a man around here?"

Chief raised an eyebrow. "Is this a joke? There's tons of men here!" Him and bard began to crack up into laughter, making me sigh.

"No, I'm looking for my...husband." I told them. "I had heard he passed through here before the tavern opened up today. Have you seen him?"

Suddenly, a pale-skinned boy with short black hair and a minstrel hat popped behind Chief. I believed it was Bard. "Wow, so you're the guy wed to Vath?" He asked, his dead black eyes staring at me. "How fun! He was complaining about you earlier today, you must have a happy relationship." I could tell that he was being sarcastic.

"I'm just wondering, do you know where he went off to?" I asked them.
"Meh, probably up in that old observatory. Think that's his hideout ever since you pulled him out of the rock." Chief informed me.

"Do you know how to get there?" I asked him. Chief groaned, and continued to wipe the table with his white cloth. "Just follow the corridor to the left to exit, then turn right and walk up for a couple of kilometres. It's the big building shaped like a star."

"All right. Thank you, sir." I replied, and set off to find Vath once and for all.

Sara

"Mother, it is true!" I retorted, with bravery in my eyes. "Izumi is married to a dead man." My grandfather shook behind me, while being seated on the sofa. "I saw him! He is a corpse! Standing right here, with Izumi!"

"Izumi was in your room?" My mother, Lady Akika replied with great tension in her voice. "W...we have to help him!" I trembled. My voice shook and I felt tears brimming up in my eyes. I could not believe what was happening. The only person I cared about right now was in danger, and nobody would even believe what I saw except for my witnesses. How could this be possible?

"The scandal!" My mother shouted back, glaring at me.
"Oooh, come settle by yer chair, dearie..." Lottie grabbed my hands. "You're shaking like a leaf... let's fit you into your pyjamas."

"Fit her into a straitjacket! She has gone completely mad!" My mother stormed out, signalling Lottie and Grandfather to come with her. They agreed, trotting away. As soon as they all entered the doorway, my mother slipped a key from her sleeve, and proceeded to lock me into my room. She succeeded.

There was still time. I could save Izumi!
I rushed to the door to my balcony, which had now been fixed after the incident. I frantically tried to open the door, and at a few tugs it succeeded. I rushed to the balcony at the end, and it seemed like a long way down. But I was going to risk it to save Izumi.

Then I remembered the quilt.
I quickly rushed back inside and threw it over the balcony, using it as a rope. I slowly eased down, whimpering and mumbling. I nearly fell off for a second, but then I felt it ripping.

I fell downwards, hitting the pavement. Luckily, Mother and Father were not nearby, so I was safe. I pulled the patchwork quilt over my head and used it as a shawl, and marched over to where I had to go.

Finally I had made it to the church, the place where Izumi and I would be married tomorrow morning. I rapped on the door, begging for the priest to open up and let me in.

Eventually he opened up. "Miss Akika." He greeted me. "What are you doing here? You should be at home, prostrate with grief!"

"Father, I have to ask you something. It is very important." I replied, my hair lumping around me like a dead weight. "This is certainly most irregular." He muttered, then attempted to closer the door.

"Please!" I pushed right on forward. "I beg of you. You are the only one in the village who knows what awaits us beyond the grave."

"A grim topic for a bride to be." The priest replied, still holding his candle. I bit my lip. "It is a bride I fear." I responded. "Which is why I must know...

Can the living marry the dead?"

The priest was in shock. "What on earth are you speaking about?" He sounded confused. "Please, it's Izumi..." I muttered. "He is married to the corpse of my great-uncle, Vattias Akika..."

"He has a corpse groom!" I explained. "Please, there must be a way to undo what has been done..."

The priest paused for a couple of seconds, leaving me in great worry of what he had to say. "I believe I know what to do. Come with me."

* * * * *

The priest dragged me back to the Akika manor, kicking and screaming. My mother opened the door, and was in horror. "Sara? Where are your corsets?!" She questioned.

"She's speaking in tongues! Talking about Farlanne's exiled brother and how Izumi's wed to him!" The priest explained to my mother. "Her mind has gone undone, I fear..."

"IT IS NOT TRUE, LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screeched at the top of my voice. My mother pulled me inside and glared at me. "Thank you, Father. Thank you." She waved goodbye and closed the door on him.

"TAKE HER TO HER ROOM!" Mother boomed. "No! I'm telling the truth!" I promised. Grandfather grabbed me by the shoulders and gently whispered in my ear. "You see, I told you this would happen." He told me. Him and Lottie began to drag me back to my room, while I yelled. "IZUMI NEEDS OUR HELP! MOTHER, FATHER, PLEASE!"

"Seal all the doors and windows! See to it that she never escapes again!" My mother ordered.
"No! I speak the truth!" I yelled back, until my throat was sore. But it was no use, they still dragged me back to my chambers without any restraint.