Chapter 22: A touch of blue

Zea’s POV

We finished the last jump and hovered in orbit above the Blueberry Planet.

The planet seemed to be mostly water, with numerous small continents randomly scattered among it.

I checked the sensors for enemy ships. None.

I studied the different continents of the planet and picked a suitable place to land and hide the ship.

While we descended into the atmosphere, Kieran shifted uneasily behind me.

“What is wrong?”

“I am hungry. We need to hunt ASAP.”

“Okay. I’ll try to land somewhere nearby a settlement.”

Halfway during our descend I made the ship flutter instead of using jet power and we elegantly hovered to the location that I had picked.

The clearing came nearer and the mosquito stretched out it legs. It gently touched down, bent through its knees to end up in a squatting position. The liquid drowned away from the cockpit and the glass dome opened up. The tubes unhooked themselves from my flesh and I lifted myself out of the craft.

My feet hit green grass with little purple flowers scattered amongst it.

Pines lined the clearing and the air smelled clean. A sun was setting, revealing two moons, one was much bigger than the other.

I was startled by its resemblance to Earth. From space Roke had looked so different.

I heard a thud behind me and saw that Kieran had climbed out as well.

The glass dome closed and I pulled the lever on the side of it. The mosquito cloaked.

“Ah, that was that lever for.” Kieran commented.

I frowned, “What are you talking about?”

“Remember shooting me in the butt?”

I grinned. That was a good memory.

“And me taking you down afterwards?”

My grin disappeared.

“Well, I hung onto that thing when you were trying to shake me off.”

Oh. I looked at the handle in hatred and made a mental note that ask whether they could make a push button of it.

“Well, let’s go hunt. I am hungry.” I said to him.

I lifted my nose in the air and tried to pick up the smell of blood. On the hive the blueberries’ blood had had this particular aroma to it. Like a sweet perfume used by innocent young girls.

I caught a scent and turned my head in its direction.

Female, barely out of adolescence, accompanied by four slightly older males.

My mouth watered.

Kieran picked up their scent too and smiled evilly. God he looked so handsome when he was hungry.

We followed the scent along a yellow brick road. After about 5 kilometres we intercepted a carriage that was accompanied by 4 guards on horses.

Kieran whispered, “I take the female…”, before he grabbed a crossbeam on the back of carriage and jerked it backwards, causing the horses to smash into each other and whinny in fright. He stomped up to the door, ripped it out of his hinges and entered the carriage.

I launched myself on top of one of the guards, throwing us off his horse. He tried to get up but I ripped off his leg. Whilst I was sucking on his leg, another guard attacked and defended myself by digging my fingers deep in the flesh of his face, ripping it half off.