Chapter 3: Tripping

Zea’s POV

My mother has clearly lost her mind completely now. This talk about aliens and conquering their world.

I studied her while she was driving the car, so that she didn’t notice.

As always, she looked good. Her grey eyes were shining and she had pink glosses on her cheeks. She had dyed her hair black this time. It looked good on her.

But I didn’t like the new glint in her eyes.

But I was worried about her mental state. This alien crap couldn’t be true. It looked too much like a con job.

Who was leading her on and why?

I needed to find out quickly. My mother was the only stabilizing factor in this kingdom. Without her, the thin balance would be disturbed, and the vampire population would run into chaos and anarchy. And that would leave us vulnerable to any of the other supernatural creatures prying on us under this sky.

 We were most strong united.

United under Queen Komar.

I saw her stealing glances at me now and so often and pouting her lips.

I knew what she was thinking and I didn’t care. Long ago I did, but these days were gone.

She had made me like this. She alone. Her actions had shown me that blood spilling was not the answer.

And she didn’t even realize.

I focused on the road and thought of what lay ahead. Coming back to court. The thing I had ran from in the first place.

An small animal scuttled across the road just a few meters in front of us and my traitorous body growled in hunger.

I hadn’t fed in seven days. The rats were all gone and I couldn’t find anything containing blood within a day walking distance of the shack. I felt so weak.

I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on the sounds around me. The repetitive noise of the engine slowed my heightened senses down again and stilled the hunger. A bit.

I groaned. I needed to feed at the palace. And no doubt mother would slip me something juicy again, regardless of my request.

First thing on my list was finding my own supplier. Preferably a little less rat like.

It would be good to be out of the desert. The dirt and heat was starting to suffocate.

And being in the small confines of the car made me realize that I was really stinking. A bath would be heaven.

We continued our journey through the desert in silence, both not knowing what to say to each other.

After a few hours the sand became rock, the rock became city and the city became palace.

Home.

I looked at it. The grey mass still looked as depressing as ever.

We passed the gate and drove up to the main building. Mother parked the car in front of the entrance and got out.

“Your quarters are still there. I haven’t changed anything. Take a bath. I will send some clothes and a hairdresser. If you are cleaned up, join me for dinner.”

“Yes, Mother.” I said tiredly.

She stormed off and let me standing in front of the castle.

Gerald came out and bought “Your highness”

“Hello Gerald. Good to see you again.”

He accompanied to my quarters and opened the door.

She had been right, she had touched nothing. Even my writing stationary and pens will still in exactly the same spot as when I left.