Chapter 11: Preparations

Peter’s POV

I was watching Anastasia from the car and saw her enter the Vampire Palace.

Nice dress and heels. As usual, she looked mouth-watering.

I shook my head.

Concentrate, Peter. This is not professional.

Ugh. I still couldn’t believe she let herself be a snack for some vampire princess.

How was I going to explain that to my superior? “Yeah, Queen Anastasia rather let a vampire suck blood from her than lead her people.”

After 30 minutes she reappeared with the vampire. They got on onto Anastasia’s motorbike and sped off towards the city centre.

I sighed and started the car. Not another shopping trip.

Kieran’s POV

“Okay, I’ll see you this evening then.”

Gerald walked out of my office after we had been through reviewing the inventories of the different ships.

He had invited me for the christening of the newest hive tonight. Yeah well, ‘inviting” meaning that the Queen ordered my presence.

I had tried to talk to Zea after what happened at the hangars, but she had successfully avoided me during the past two months. In the three times that I had talked t her, she had only focused on issues related to the mission and had then dismissed me as soon as I wanted to make the conversation more personal.

I had wanted to apologize for what my actions, but she hadn’t let me. Somehow I needed to break through the walls that she had erected around her heart.

We used to be friends.

She could be so damn stubborn.

I tried to put her out of my mind and concentrated on finishing the sh*tload of work I still had to do.

1. Where the hell was I going to stock the humans so that they were protected against every hungry vampire on board?

2. What was the best location to put the draining machines?

3. The engineers were complaining that they didn’t have enough human slaves to keep the steam engines running that took care of normal propulsion.

I didn’t understand why we needed to have steam engines anyway as we also had a nuclear fusion reactor.

When I had asked that, Marcus, the chief engineer had looked at me guiltily and after some shuffling answered, “Because they look awesome.”

Great, I was surrounded by nerds that had too much power.

So now I had to organize more slaves to keep engines running that were only there to be pretty.

4. The interior designer of the ships was requesting more velvet for curtains and 10,000 more chandeliers.

Queen Komar had decided that we were going to conquor Roke in style, so she had send this ridiculously gay vampire to redo their furnishing.

His taste was god-awful.

These ludicrous requests were driving me off the edge. I was beginning to suspect that Komar might have me assigned to this job as some sick form of payback for hurting her daughter.

After a few more hours of this insanity I could take no more.

I looked down at my clothes. They were creasy from my crawl in the ventilation system this morning to check whether vampires could get to the human slaves if they were very hungry. Fortunately this was virtually impossible given the big blades turning at high speed at the end of the system. I would rather not be out of humans within two weeks after take off and have a war on my hands between the different vampire families for sustenance.