Chapter 10: Anastasia

Two months later

I watched Hiera’s map. Hiera was the third largest city on Roke and housed the main government of its most powerful country.

Magnus and I have been planning our approach and attack on the city for days now. I couldn’t find a way that would create enough diversion so that the number of casualties would be minimized.

Mother didn’t want us to damage the merchandise.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

The buildings were too well defended and located right in the centre of the city, just a block away from the main shopping area.

I put my hand through my hair and tried to think of a way out of this mess.

When I touched my hair I smiled. It had quite quickly grown back into my normal coupe of long crazy curls. Hooray for being a vampire.

“Your majesty.” Gerald addressed me while walking into my study.

“Yes, Gerald?”

“The last hive is finished. Your mother requested your presence at its christening tonight.” He informed me.

He hesitated and shuffled his feet.

“And Kieran’s”.” he added quietly.

I sighed.

The past two months I had managed to keep our contact to a minimum. As a result, I had only informed him about the basics of our plans, which was bound to bite me in the tail in the future.

I could kill Mother for making me put up with him.

I’ll ask him to meet me after the christening so that I can fill him in on the things he should have known weeks ago.

“Of course. At what time am I expected to be there?”

“The ceremony is planned at 20:00, but your mother wants to talk to you before that. She requested to meet you at 19:00 at the hangars.”

I nodded. “Fine. Can you please contact the crew to be there as well?”

He nodded.

“Thank you, Gerald.”

He bowed and took his leave.

Kieran.

I touched my lips. That kiss had been amazing.

After I left and passed the crowd on my way back to the hangar I realised that Kieran had used it as a tactic to defend himself. There was no way he could ever beat me in a fight, so he fought dirty.

It killed me that it had meant nothing to him.

B*stard.

Oh for God sake, I couldn’t let him get to me like this. The crew was going to trample all over me if I couldn’t toughen up.

I’ll just repeat my mantra “Kieran is evil.” hundreds of times whenever he is around.

I smiled. Or imagine him with horn and hooves.

I emailed Magnus to inform him that I still hadn’t solved the Hiera problem and that we should meet tomorrow morning to plan the last preparations before we embark on the hive next week.

I walked over to the intercom and asked my secretary to sent in Anastasia. I was famished and really needed some blood.

Fortunately I had found a half-demon willing to be my blood source in exchange for protection and connections to the right people