Chapter 6: She-vamps are from Venus, he-vamps are from Mars

Kieran’s POV

“Zea.”

She walked across the room and sat down next to her mother.

She had completely changed.

Oh I recognized her all right. The crazy red hair and deep brown eyes were hard to miss. Her beauty still took my breath away.

But her disposition was completely different.

She was composed, quiet and wary. Her eyes were sizing me up and the set of her jaw showed me that she did not like what she saw.

Where did the happy little sparkling girl go that liked to run riot 24/7?

What worried me though was something else.

Although she was underfed and showing it, I sensed an enormous power radiating off her.

Zea didn’t need my protection. She was stronger than me. A lot stronger. I would run if she ever decided to attack me.

I narrowed my eyes. What were they planning?

“Why does Zea need protection? And why me?” I asked them, straight cutting to the point.

Komar only raised an eyebrow but Zea snapped.

“I don’t need protection and I certainly don’t need that from you.” She hissed.

She turned to face her mother and put her hands on the table to emphasize her point.

“As I said before, Mother, this is a mistake. He will question my authority by just being there.“ Zea stated.

Komar sighed and looked tired.

“On the contrary, if Kieran stands next to you as your second in command, it will disprove any qualms that our subjects might have had about you.”

I looked at her uncertainly. I seriously doubted that my presence would do that. On the contrary, it might even further destabilize the situation.

There is only one thing that would solve this mess. I would need to wed her. That would take any rumours away and restore her authority on a permanent basis. It was what I had been planning to do all along. But I couldn’t find her.

“Mother, I never thought I would say this. But that is naïve. The damage is done. There is only one way to restore my credit.” Zea said bitterly.

I nodded vigorously. Glad to know that we are on the same page.

I quickly got up, circled the table and went down on one knee before Zea.

Her eyes widened and she looked questioningly at me.

“Marry me.” I said to her whilst looking her in her eyes.

Momentarily joy seemed to cross her face. I had never realised how beautiful the combination of light red eyelashes and dark brown eyes was when she was smiling.

But something changed. She narrowed her eyes and stared at me.

Tears pooled in her eyes and she gritted her teeth. She shifted position and leaned towards me.

“Haven’t you insulted me enough?” she whispered before she pulled back her arm and gave me a blow to the head that left my ears ringing and send me down to the floor.

Zea’s POV

Mother had requested my presence in the throne room so I slipped in the room while she was seated at the table and talking to a visitor.

I stopped dead in my tracks when I realized who the visitor was.

Kieran.

I stepped back in the shadows of the room.