1.9

I get back from the post office and as I walk up the steps to my building I see Luke walking out of the elevator.

We stop when we meet each other in almost the dead center of the room.

"You headed out?" I ask, silently hoping he is.

"Yeah." He sighs. "So I guess I'll see you soon?" He says quietly.

"We'll see, Luke." I smile and open my arms. He wraps his arms gently around my back and I wrap mine around his neck.

When we pull away I look up at him. "Check up on Darcy and Benn for me, will ya?"

He smiles. "Yeah." He sighs again. "Goodbye, Hannah Grace."

"So long, Lucas." I smile back.

He turns and walks through the doors. And unlike last time, I watch him leave with a smile on my face. I'm happy for him. I'm happy for me.

--

When I get to my apartment I turn the knob and notice that it's locked. I guess Ashton had left. I pull my keys out and unlock the door. When I swing it open the lights flash on and Michael and Ashton pop out, yelling "surprise!" as loud as possible.

"What the hell is wrong with you two?" I yell while laughing. I walk over to Ashton and pull him into a tight hug.

"We wanted to throw you a little goodbye party." Michael says with a huge smile on his face.

I smile at him and pull him in for a hug as well.

"Thank you, guys. This is amazing." I say as I pull myself away from Michael.

"Anything for you." Ashton says with a smile still plastered on his face. "Speaking of which." He says before walking up to me and pulling two pieces of paper out. "I'm treating you to dinner and a movie tomorrow night."

I smile up at him. "And if I refuse?"

"Not an option." He says while trying to fight a smile.

I smile and sigh. "So is there food at this party?"

"Just ordered pizza." Michael says. "Go get something comfy on. Game of Thrones and pizza are mandatory for a party."

I smile and turn on my heel. I walk down the cold hard wood flooring of my long hallway and shut the door when I get to my room. When I get there I look over at my dresser and see a piece of paper folded into four and know immediately what it is.

I sigh and walk over to it, opening it slowly. I read the words over and over again. But I noticed something had changed.

"You were red

You liked me because I was blue

You touched me and suddenly I was a lilac sky

And you decided purple just wasn't for you."

I looked at the bottom and noticed something new had been written there.

"I like you better when you're blue."

I smile and set the note down. I hear my door open and spin around to see Ashton standing there. "You bout ready?"

"Yeah just give me a sec." He shuts the door, and I get ready for what would be one of the best nights of my life.

--

I look in my mirror one more time before I hear a knock on my door. "Come in." I yell ad I examine the dress Ashton bought me for our dinner. I turn around and he's standing there smiling at me.

"You look amazing, Hannah."

"And so do you." I walk up to him and fix his tie. "Look at you, all dressed up. So handsome." We both laugh and I look up at him.

"You're an idiot." He says before locking his hand with mine.

We get to his car, which was waiting out front to my surprise, and he opens my door for me. Even though normally I wouldn't have let him because independent and all that, but it was cute this time.

Due to ridiculous traffic it takes forever for us to get to the restaurant, but I don't mind. We talked and sang to the radio the entire time. I almost forgot we were supposed to be pissed at the annoying New York traffic.

We get to the restaurant and pull up to valet. He lets me out and we will hand in hand into the beautiful restaurant.

"Reservation for Irwin."

"Right this way." The lady at the front tells us. We follow her to a table in the very back and she sets us down and takes our drink orders before leaving.

"Ashton this is beautiful. You really didn't have to do all of this." I say awkwardly.

"Oh but I did." He takes my hands into his from across the table. "I really missed you, Hannah."

I smile warmly. "I missed you too."

"I had always heard that distance makes the heart grow fonder, but I didn't know that a month away from you would make me realise that I was in love with you."

I pull my hands away. "Wait, what? Where is the coming from?" I say quietly.

"Hannah, I liked you a lot when we were together. And I fell for you the second I saw you at my house that day. No matter how hard you pushed me away, I knew I had to have you back in my life. Because I'm in love with you."

I feel a smile creep on my face before falling immediately. "I'm so confused."

He sighs and walks over to me. He squats down so we're at almost eye level, him being a little bit lower. "Hannah Lee Grace, I want to love you for the rest of my life-"

"Ashton.." I interrupt.

"Hannah just let me talk." He grabs my hands again. "I've loved you since we were kids. And I'm not gonna let you slip away again." He takes a deep breath.

"Hannah. Will you marry me?"