Question With No Answer

Josh's POV
I was finishing up the last few minutes of my new job.

I was hired at the Ocean Cafe. David was very nice and gave me a job, as long as I work hard.

Hayden has been very lovestruck these last couple of hours. He wouldn't shut up about Kayla.

My phone had been vibrating all afternoon, but I'm working, so I didnt answer any if his calls or text messages.

I was wiping up my last table before I got to leave, when a woman with black hair and black clothing walked in.

She looks a bit odd and misplaced, but I can't say any of this out loud, as she is a customer.

She sat down a couple of tables away from the one I was cleaning. I dropped the cloth on it and made my way over to her.

She made herself comfortable and picked up a menu.

"Can I help you?" I asked her as I politely as I could.

"Yes. Do you know Kayla, you seem familiar. Is it Josh?" She asked me.

I was shocked. How does she know Kayla? How does she know me? I have never seen this woman before in NY life. I decided to play it safe.

"I'm sorry, do I know you? Kayla has never mentioned you before." I asked her.

Her eyes lit up, even though I didnt really say anything to trigger it.

"So you are Josh. Kayla has told me so much about you. And your brother, Hayden. The two of you have made quite a difference to my Kayla." She said, her voice and expression filled with happiness.

I smiled. That's nice of her.

"So who are you, exactly?" I asked with caution. I didnt want to offend her.

She smiled and looked very far from offended when she replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Kayla's mother, Narissa." She told me.

She extended her arm towards me and I gently grabbed her hand and shook it.

"Kayla never mentioned anything about her mother. I assumed that something happened between you two." I said.

"Something did happen, dear, but it's no use bringing that up now. Do you have any idea where I might find her?" She asked me.

I shook my head and replied to her.

"I'm sorry Narissa, the last time I spoke to her was yesterday, I believe." I told her, having to think back to the time I fought with Hayden.

She instantly looked very glum. As if she wanted me to tell her something else.

"Oh, well, thank you for your help anyway. I must get going and try to find her." She told me, getting up, out of her seat.

"Thank you, Josh. It was lovely meeting you." She said with a big smile.

That's one thing that I noticed that she shares with Kayla. When Kayla smiles, its the biggest smile anybody has ever seen.

Too bad she doesn't do it often.

"Take care." I said to her as she walked out.

*5 minutes later*

I finally finished my shift and was ready to leave.

I felt my phone vibrate for what feels like the millionth time and I picked it up.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey Josh, do you think that you could meet me in the hospital as soon as you've finished your shift, its important." Hayden asked me.

I nodded, despite him not being able to see it, and replied.