Everything

PLEASE READ AUTHORS NOTE AT THE BOTTOM, ITS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Zac's POV

Gosh. I'm so stupid! I should've known Kayla was never going to stay in the hospital!

I just got off the phone with Hayden. He told me all about how Kayla went missing. I'm such a terrible brother for letting that happen. She could be anywhere by now. Let's just hope someone will find her. In one piece.

I head down to Rita's place to look for the girls. I knocked on the door and Rita answered.

"Well hi Zac. What can I do for you?" She asked in her same bright tone. I'm a little bit upset about how she banished Kayla from her house, even if I was the one that asked her. Now I see that it was wrong.

"I'm here to see if the girls are around. Kayla's-" I started.

"Missing. Yes I had a feeling." She said, cutting me off. I stared at her, confused.

"How could you have known that?" I asked her.

"It's a mermaids thing." She said, waving her hand carelessly. I shrugged it off and started to feel anxious.

"Hey can I ask you something?" I stared into her chocolate brown eyes. She opened the door wider to let me in. I walked in and she followed after.

I sat on the couch with my arms on my lap.

"Would you like anything to eat or drink, Zac?" She asked me, drifting into the kitchen.

"No thanks. I wanted to talk to you about Kayla." I said flat out. I kept my stare off of Rita, in case of any unwanted angry or dirty looks.

"What about her." She said casually, as if she totally forgot about what she did to her.

"Well, she mentioned being a Black Tailed Mermaid. What is that?" I asked.

I heard Rita drop something, obviously surprised at my question.

She cleared her throat and patted her skirt down. As if it were covered in invisible dirt.

"Well, to be honest with you Zac, I haven't had much experience with them but what I've heard is that they are very rare. They are facing extinction. Kayla was the last one left before I was aware of Narissa's return." She said with monotone, yet full of hidden expression.

"So what's so special about them? And why are they extinct?" I asked. She didn't look at me when she answered.

"They are rumoured to bring death and unhappiness wherever they go. That's why when there is evidence of one in a pod, they are immediately exiled. They are often depressed, as Kayla is." She said.

I suddenly understood. Everything finally became so clear. It felt good knowing that it wasn't entirely my fault that she felt like this.

"But why?" I asked Rita. She looked at me sadly as she walked into the living room. She set her tea down on the table and sat on a nearby couch, across from me.

"As I told you, I haven't had much experience. Kayla's mother use to be the only one I met. Kayla's the only one I've come to know." She replied.

Even though she has told me that that is all she knows, I didn't feel satisfied.

"Well, I should get going. The others are probably waiting for me." I said to Rita. She seemed sad at my leaving, but I needed to go find Kayla. I got up to leave, when Rita interrupted me.

"Zac?" She asked. A sense of urgency and curiosity hinting in her voice.

"Yes?" I answered, waiting for her question. She hesitated slightly before answering.