I Saw What Happened Under The Bleachers

Maya was walking in to school from the field when she heard footsteps running towards her from behind.

"PEACHES!" Riley practically jumped on Maya's back.

"Woah! Riles, what's up?" Maya asked.

"I saw what happened under the bleachers!!"

Maya just stood there trying to speak, "Riles! I am so, so sorry! I never meant for that to happen!"

Riley just stood there, "What?"

"What?" Maya repeated.

"Why are you sorry? It's not your fault!" Riley reassured.

Maya stared at Riley with confusion in her eyes, and her jaw dropped, "I- I- I-"

"I mean it's not your fault what Lucas did!" Riley told her.

"I should've stopped it, I- I could have stopped it!"

"You saw Lucas with Callie?" Riley asked.

Maya's eyes widened, "Callie...? I'm sorry, I just- Did you- I- whew." Maya sat down to stop herself from what seemed like passing out.

Riley sat down beside her, "Are you okay peaches?"

Maya just stared at Riley fighting with herself on whether or not to tell her Lucas kissed her. "Riley, I- I- Lucas- He would never hurt you! Okay? He's probably just having a rough time and all his thoughts are clouded so he's relying on someone who knows him. Okay? He's probably just looking for comfort."

"Then why wouldn't he come to me?" Riley asked with tears forming in her eyes.

Maya scooted over to Riley and put Riley's head on her shoulder. "I don't know..."

Lucas walked in and saw the girls. "Maya can we talk?"

"You know now's not really a good time, why don't you and Riley talk? You two have a lot to talk about anyway." Maya answered.

Maya got up and mouthed to Lucas. "She doesn't know." Lucas nodded. Riley sat there waiting with a slightly disappointed look on her face.

"Hey Riley." Lucas said with a half smile.

"Can we talk later? Tonight? At Topanga's?" Riley asked.

"Yeah of course. I think we've all missed enough class today. Speaking of which I have math. See you tonight..." Lucas walked away while Callie walked through the doors. Riley stood up and went to confront her.

"This isn't like me at all!" Riley said to Callie.

"I don't understand." Callie responded.

"I just want you to know that I'm not myself right now in case I say something I will later regret." Callie nodded. "I only have one question for you..."

"Go ahead." Callie told Riley.

"Why did you think that Maya was Lucas' girlfriend?"

Callie looked at Riley with empathy, "Listen Riley, I don't know the whole story but what I do know is that Lucas would never hurt you, or Maya, or me or Zay or Farkle. He doesn't hurt his friends, that's who he is. You and Lucas aren't friends though, you've become something else, something more complicated... Do you love him?"

"Of course I do!" Riley responded with a chuckle at the ridiculousness of the question.

"Not friendship love Riley; Are you in love with Lucas?"

"Look Callie, I don't know what your story is either but I do know you're deflecting my question! So can you please just answer it?"

"First answer me this, why does it bother you that I thought that Maya was the one dating Lucas?"

Riley was taken back by Callie question. Why did it bother her?

"I don't know. And yeah I think I do." Riley said while looking at the floor.

"Think you do what?" Callie asked.

"Love him. I think I'm in love with Lucas..." Riley felt it in the pit of her stomach and in the deepest parts of her heart. She didn't think, she knew. She also knew something was wrong with Maya.