Confrontation

At nine years old, there were a handful of things that you cared about. One of them was your inventions - you knew that one day, they would become the mark you'd leave on this world.

The other was your friends, because you weren't someone to deny just how much they meant to you. Loria was no exception. And even if you hadn't talked to each other in years - even if she never wished to see you again - you were still determined to find her.

You were no traitor to your friends, after all.

That was why at the age of nine, you began to work on a bigger project than you'd ever done before. Your goal was to invent a tracking device that could scan the residents of the city and quickly find the matches to a given description.

You knew enough about Loria to describe her general appearance and characteristics, even if she had changed in your absence. An advanced scanner would be able to process that information and use it to perform a search of the city's residents.

It wasn't a lot to go on, and you weren't sure if you could even manage it, but one thing was certain:

No matter what it took, you were going to find her again.

You had to.

______________________________________________________________

It took three long months, but finally, your scanner was finished. It had taken several sleepless nights and multiple different drafts; now, the final version was small and portable enough to fit into your pocket, but reliable enough to scan the entire city at once. You set the range of the scanner to within the city, then added in Loria's information.

This was it.

The one thing that would bring you two together again.

Without any hesitation, you typed in a few commands into the small keypad of the device and pressed start. Immediately, the screen lit up with a map of the city, overlapped with circular scan waves that were being broadcasted from your exact location.

Initiating scan.

Scanning City: San Fransokyo.

Analyzing data...

1 match found. Location:

The map zoomed in to a street and then an alleyway in the outskirts of the city. Determined, you pressed a few more buttons, and the map zoomed out again, showing the path you would need to take to get there.

Immediately, you were off. There was no time to lose.

You weren't about to make Loria wait any longer.

______________________________________________________________

After about twenty minutes, you found yourself in a thin, darkened alleyway that reeked of garbage. The small passageway was completely shadowed by the two buildings on its side. Graffiti lined the walls like fireworks in the gloom.

Taking another glance at your scanner, you wondered if you had messed up somehow. Had Loria really made a home in a place like this?

You wandered through the alleyway and stopped at the end. There, just like your scanner had foretold, stood a shadowed figure in a hoodie. The person had her back turned to you, so you couldn't be sure that this was who you were looking for. But it was worth a shot, right?

Your hands trembling slightly, you shoved the scanner into your pocket and called out, "Loria?"

The person whirled around.

There was no mistake. That long brown hair and those familiar sepia eyes: this was certainly Loria. She looked just like you remembered her to be, though she was taller now, and her features were slightly more matured.

There was one thing that threw you off, though; her eyes were solemn and dark, unlike the radiant brown orbs you remembered. Though she was staring right at you, she wasn't really meeting your glance; it was as if she was looking straight through you.

A pendent silence hung between the two of you. "Hey," you tried, managing a smile. "It's me. Y/N. Remember?"

"...Yeah," she answered distractedly. "Of course I do."

"I'm really happy to see you again." It was the truth.

Loria didn't smile back, though; her expression didn't shift in the slightest. "I don't want anything to do with you, Y/N."

Your eyes widened slightly; you had considered the possibility of rejection, but this was different. It was as if she wasn't even willing to hear you out. But surely, an explanation wouldn't fail to fix things, right?

"Look. I'm sorry I never contacted you over these years. I tried to, I really did," you said, remembering your visit to the orphanage, and all the efforts you put into building a scanner.

"Liar."

"I'm not lying!" You snapped, "I spent three MONTHS trying to look for you, and–"

"Three months?" She interrupted you, scoffing. "Three months is nothing. You've been gone for two whole years. You promised you wouldn't forget me, remember? That's why ever since you left, I waited every single day for you to visit. To call. Anything. Just to show that you still cared about me."

You fell silent. "I..." but what could you say right now? She was right; you hadn't made any effort to contact her until now. You couldn't deny that.

"Back then, you were everything to me." Loria's voice is bitter and resigned. "You were my only friend. You were the closest person I ever had to family. And what did you ever do for me?"

"You left me behind." She spat, grabbing the collar of your shirt in a choke hold. "You didn't speak to me, didn't visit me, and all that time, I really believed you would come back. But I was wrong."

"Loria, wait, I didn't–"

"Don't you see? It's your fault," she cut you off. "You are the reason my life fell apart."

Her grip on your shirt tightened; you found it harder and harder to breathe. Slowly, the menacing scowl on her face shifted slowly into a sadistic smile. "And for that, you'll pay."

All of a sudden, her fist was plummeting towards your face. Then, the pain registered in your mind, and you stumbled backwards, your hand instantly flying upwards to cover your injury.

Your fingers returned grazed in blood.

"You have no right to talk to me," she said. "I'm giving you a fair warning: never come looking for me again. If you even attempt to, I'm going to take away the things that matter to you most." And then she was gone, and suddenly, the gravity of the situation came crashing down on you.

You had the mind of a genius; your scanner had worked flawlessly and led you to Loria. Even so, there was something that you had failed to foresee.

She wasn't the same. You had assumed she would forgive you if you properly apologized. But that was exactly where you went wrong.

Because no scientific invention, no matter how advanced, could ever have healed a friendship that had long since been broken.

______________________________________________________________

 So, my sister bribed me to write a chapter. AGAIN.

I think this is the longest chapter so far. I'M SORRY, MY WRITING STYLE HAS CHANGED A TON. D:

Let's all pretend that it hasn't been 8 months since I last updated. 

Is anyone still reading this? Anyone??
*silence, crickets*

I know that this makes me an awful person, but I'm currently working on a ton of side projects, so I'll continue if I get 50+ votes. (: