Chapter 40 - Hayden

'Hayden honey,' a soft voice calls me and I groan in frustration. Just go away.

Anna and Alice had decided to show up at our house. Alice had gone up to Rayna almost immediately but I'm still unsure about their friendship. They went from hating one another to suddenly becoming best friends. Suddenly it's like Rayna detached herself from her old group of friends and stayed with the one person that had made her miserable for a long time before changing. Still, I refuse to judge considering they have a very close friendship and it's apparent that Alice has definitely changed. Besides, she makes her happy which is the most I could ask for.

'Hayden, please don't ignore me,'

'You know, I go to my room for alone time,' I harshly reply but she doesn't falter, raising her eyebrow.

'I'm pretty sure you can handle one conversation with me,'

'I'm not sure,' I complain but sit up straight and look her dead in the eyes.

'Your father says he heard you and this girl arguing before,'

'My father can't keep his mouth shut,'

'Well that's a fact,' she chuckles and I unintentionally crack a smile. As soon as I realise I'm doing this, I quickly cover it with a scowl.

'I saw that,' she laughs and I roll my eyes.

'Whatever,'

'Drop the attitude,' she pushes me lightly, making it harder and harder to maintain my harsh shell, 'so anyway, what's going on between you and this girl?'

I sigh, because as much as I don't want to talk to Anna about this, I also can't keep everything bottled up. I've learned from others that it isn't the best idea.

'I just wish she'd listen to me,' I admit and rest my head on the wall.

'Listen to you saying what?'

'I gave so many hints that I like her and at first I thought she just wasn't picking up on them...'

'But she was?' Anna offers and I nod.

'Yeah, she just didn't think I meant them in a romantic way,'

'And why's that?'

'Because I - stupidly - hinted I didn't like her in that way a while back. I really regret it because now, no matter what I say, she won't believe me,'

'Sounds like you've thrown yourself into a ditch there I'm afraid Hayds,'

I sigh softly.

'I know I have,'

'Why don't you tell her exactly how you feel rather then beating round the bush,'

'Beating round the bush?' I repress the urge to laugh.

'You aren't directly addressing the issue,'

'I don't want to,'

'Yes you do, you're just scared to,'

I don't say anything to this, knowing she's completely right. I hear quiet footsteps outside the room and someone knocks. I groan in frustration, can't anyone leave me alone today?

Alice opens the door and smiles sheepishly at both her mum and me.

'Rayna's upstairs if you want to go
and see her,' she says, looking at me and I glare back. I've still not accepted the fact that she could be my sister. That's the last thing I want.

'So?'

'So...um...go and see her?'

'Can't you see I'm busy?'