Chapter 8 - Hayden

I peer about for the familiar car I'm so used to picking me up but I can't find it anywhere. I'm wondering whether Kyra has forgotten or whether she just can't be bothered turning up. Probably the second option knowing her.

I stand about for the moment, collecting my bearings as I try to remember which way to walk home. For the few days I've been at this school I've always had Kyra pick me up. The first time I didn't even have to ask, she just turned up anyway.

Perhaps I should have paid attention to the directions.

I feel a small tap on my shoulder and spin round to meet Rayna, who shoots me a soft smile. I return to gesture readily, happy to see one person I'm familiar with. I have a few people I have accepted as my friends but already they aren't as close to me as I am with Rayna, which makes me happy.

'You look a little lost,' She states and I nod, chuckling.

'I am, my sister's normally here but I can't find her,'

'I would help if I knew your address,'

I fix my gaze to the floor, my cheeks flushing slightly.

'I'm embarrassed to say I don't know my address,' I mutter but she shrugs.

'You've only just moved in, it's understandable,'

'How do you always make me feel better?' I chuckle and she smiles, striking a pose.

'Must be something to do with my incredible personality,'

'Must be,' I say, rolling my eyes. I go to speak again but am cut off.

'Hayden! Wait!'

I mentally groan when I recognise Alice approaching us. I know Rayna is uncomfortable beside me but she doesn't say anything to prove it.

'Alice,' I say with no emotion. An instant grin fills her face when she realises I've remembered her name.

She glance over to my right and sees Rayna. Her welcoming smile instantly cools and becomes cold.

'Oh. Hey Rayna,' she says, her voice haughty. She stands directly in front of her as if it gives her some sort of power surge.

Rayna looks over at me and moves out of the way. I know she wants to leave now.

She offers me a quick hug.

'Good luck,' she whispers to me. I respond with a pained glance and she chuckles lightly before leaving.

'I thought you wouldn't be going around with her anymore?' Alice says softly but she sounds more accusatory then questioning. Flares of frustration ignite within me as she speaks. I hadn't known Rayna long and yet we had become close. I wanted to be there for her like a best friend would.

'I never said that. You did,'

'And you should follow our advice. We tried to be friendly but you won't have anyone if you stick around with her,'

'If that's how everyone is around here then I'd much rather stay with Rayna,'

She stares at me in disbelief and I feel anger when it's portrayed that most people will normally listen to her without question.

She hesitates for the moment after my statement before frowning and tipping her head back lightly.

'I think we've gotten off on the wrong foot here, Hayden,' She states slowly, 'after all, we are, in some way, siblings,'

I scowl at the fact.

'No. We aren't,'

'Okay fine, whatever but I won't stand to let people look at us as family if you continue being friends with her,'