Chapter 4 - Hayden

'Nope, I'm crap at drawing,'

She says this with such intensity and yet I still don't believe her. She looks uncomfortable, avoiding me and instead keeping her vision transfixed to the floor.

'I doubt that,' I retaliate but she still doesn't back down.

'I mean it, I'm awful and that's for the art students of which I'm not,'

'No body is awful,' I try to smile, 'Some people may be more skilled then others but at the end of the day you can do it. You just choose not to,'

She studies me, opening her mouth as if she wants to say something but then closing it immediately after, considering her decision. The bell rings, forcing us both to halt in the conversation (or whatever you'd call this type of communication).

She shoots me one final smile before walking out of the room.

Just before she does however, she stops for a brief moment to retrieve her bag of which is slung round one of the chairs. If I'm not mistaken I could swear a sketchbook was peeking out, the logo matching that of the local art shop. It could be used for notes but for some reason I don't believe that, having the vibe that she was hiding something. 

I wave at her rather then say anything else and instantly I'm bombarded with ideas to try and persuade her to reveal what was so bad about her hiding her talents. If she had any, I could just be going off assumptions here.

I follow her out and walk beside her since I have next period with her. She doesn't acknowledge I'm there but instead lowers her eyes as we pass other students. I haven't noticed this before and am unsure of how to react, especially since I have no clue to why she's doing this. 

'Are you okay?'

She nods slightly and gives nervous glances at those around us. It's then that I see what they're doing. Mostly she is ignored other then by the few individuals that stare at her. Some pull faces whilst others whisper, pointing at her. At first I'm anxious it's me they're directing this at but, after close examination, I see that it's in fact Rayna for sure.

They narrow their eyes at her and glare, hushed into silence as she passes them. I slow down but Rayna speeds up, eventually passing a corner where I can no longer see her.

I glance over at one of the huddles of teenagers who had directed their attention to her before making a decision and joining them, determined to find out what had just occurred.

'Hey,' I smile as best as I can as I approach them. They exchange glances but wave anyway.

'Hi!' One of them almost sings in welcome. They seem so friendly so why are they making me feel so uncomfortable? Something about them is making me feel nervous.

'Looks like we're finally meeting you then!'

'Yeah, I'm Hayden,'

'Alice. And this is Mel and Ben,' She points at the other two of her friends whom seem a little less enthusiastic then her.

'It's nice to meet you,'

Rather then reply the boy, I recall his name as Ben, nods over in the direction where Rayna had fled.

'Didn't know you were friends with her,' He comments and I frown.

'Yeah, I am,'

'Why?' He presses and now I'm confused. Why is he so interested?

'Because she's nice,'

Everyone appears to be less comfortable now, Alice and Mel are looking down at the floor.