Chapter 7 - Rayna

I can't see my mum around when I enter my house but, checking her room, I find her sleeping figure curled in a ball in the luxury curtained bed. The velvet sheets are covering her small frame and making it almost impossible to see her, the only hints of her existence being the few strands of dark brown hair curling from underneath her pillow.

I decide not to wake her and join my little brother in the kitchen who is grasping at his food with his hands staining his fingers with red sauce.

'Who made you that?' I ask and he points at the kite resting on the counter. At first I'm confused but then it occurs to me who it belonged to; my mothers boyfriend. He was a fleeting figure and didn't remain for long when he visited.

'Kyle?'

He nods, grabbing the last meatball with his hands and rolling it between his fingers. It creates a nauseating sound and I feel like I'm going to throw up if I continue watching him.

'Gross, do you really have to do that, Ev?'

I ask but he isn't paying attention, only sending me a brief nod without removing his eyes from the television set on the wall.

I pull a face and begin to move his plate away which resulted in him screaming at the top of his lungs. I grasp the table and stare him right in the eyes, determined to make him stop the obnoxious screaming.

'Evander, you've made a mess and I have to clean it. You've finished your dinner so let me take the plate,'

'I want it though!' He whines but I roll my eyes.

'You don't need it! I need to wash it,'

'No you don't. You can wait,'

'Do you want to do film night or not?' I threaten and instantly he falters, not wanting to miss out on the one thing he's been reminding me of all week.

'...yes,'

'Then give me the dish and stop misbehaving else I won't hesitate to cancel,'

He pushes it towards me, with a little force intended, and crosses his arms, pouting at the screen once again. I place the plastic dish in the dishwasher and proceed to wash his face with the damp end of a tea towel.

I completely forget about his screaming earlier and am almost given a heart attack once my mum thrusts the door open, causing it to slam against the wall.

'What the hell do you thing you're playing at!' She hisses, holding her dressing gown in place, her hair resting as a puffy cloud about her head. Her nails, however, are intact as always. The shiny black polish is neat as if they'd been done yesterday. There's something wrong if my mother's nail varnish is cracked.

Evander and I exchange glances.

'What do you mean?' I question, trying to act oblivious but it resulted in a harsh laugh escaping her lips, devoid of any emotion.

'I have work in less then five hours and I would appreciate some rest but all I can hear are the two of you pissing about!'

'I'm sorting Evander out is all, we're not messing about,' I defend the two of us, continuing to wipe my little brothers face as he squirms in futile attempts to get away from the towel.

'Rayna! I can hear you, I'm not stupid!'

'It was one time! Hardly like we're having a war down here!'

'It sounds like it,'

'You know what? Forget it. I'm sorry, it won't happen again, mother,'

She stares for a moment as if trying to figure out why I am giving up so easily. Truth is it's easier to avoid the arguments then jump in the middle of them. Now she waits and stares, stares and waits as if trying to find some excuse to scold the two of us.