Chapter 18 - Hayden

'Rayna!' I cry out and knock forcefully on the door again. I need her right now. I need her to answer the damn door whilst I still have my sanity. My impatience increases until a creak is audible from inside. The door is yanked open and Rayna looks absolutely exhausted, still in her pajamas and messy curls sprawling around her head.

Looks like neither of us slept from last night.

'What are you doing here this early, Hayden?'

I frown and check the clock on my phone.

'It's coming up to twelve,' I state and she shrugs, shooting me a look saying 'so what'

'Yeah, exactly. Early,'

She steps to the side so I can walk in and I do so, noting that the house is spotless just as it had been the last time I'd been here.

Entering the front room, I see Evander has pulled out all his cars and is now settled comfortably in the center of the room, throwing them around.

'Hey, Ev,'

His eyes light up, much to my surprise, and he throws himself at me, clutching my leg.

'Haddie!' He cries and a warm feeling settles in my stomach. It feels nice to have someone greet me like this.

I haul him off me and pick him up instead. For someone who's quite tall for his age, he's extremely light. He fluffs my hair and I pretend to glare, doing it back.

'Ah, my hair!' He mimicks causing me to roll my eyes.

Rayna is leaning against a wall, watching our exchange with a small smile on her face. I can't seem to forget the way she looked last night, the only time I have ever seen her get dressed up.

'I thought you were sleeping,' I say, a playful smile lingering on my lips. She shrugs.

'I was. On the sofa whilst he was playing,'

'She yelled at me to keep quiet,' Evander whispers in my ear.

'I did not!'

'She did too!'

Sending a brief glare at her brother, she turns her attention to me again. She crosses her arms but doesn't move from her position.

'So what brings you here?' She asks.

'Oh. Yeah, I think I need your help with something,'

'O-kay,'

Rather then deciding on the sofa, she settles herself on the floor, clearing the heap of cars out of the way so I can place myself next to her. I rest my weight on my arms and Evander comes to my side, wanting to be a part of the conversation.

I feel a little embarrassed to ask about this but I want Rayna to build up my courage. She always seems to do that for me.

'Yesterday do you know how I went with Mia to the dance?'

'Yes,' She says slowly and I bite my lip.

'I don't like it when you do that,'

I flick my eyes towards her and raise an eyebrow.

'What?'

She bites her own lip in a demonstration before she blushes and refuses to look at me.

'Why?'

'It doesn't matter,'

I shrug and carry on with what I was going to say.

'So...something happened,'