Chapter 12 - Hayden

After the long night yesterday, I am exhausted. I dropped Blake off at home and then returned to Rayna's to keep the two siblings company. It had been a very fun evening after Rayna opened up about her father and I took advantage of the relaxing atmosphere, encouraging her to welcome it too.

To say I'm surprised about what she told me is an understatement. I had to restrain myself from letting my mouth drop open in shock. If I hadn't have, I guarantee I'd still be oblivious to her family secret therefore I'm happy I was able to listen and calm her scattering thoughts.

It makes me feel good that I'm able to even do this.

As I'm walking down the halls, a hand latches onto my arm and I glance down to see Mia by my side. A fluttery feeling erupts in my stomach as I attempt calm my breathing down. Is it possible for someone to seem even prettier the more you look at them?

'Hey,' She beams and I flush ever so slightly, scolding myself mentally for it.

'Hi,' I say back, removing my gaze whilst I regain my posture.

'You in Drama first?'

'Yep, you?'

'Of course,' She giggles. Why am I so nervous? What is wrong with me?

Right now? Everything.

She frowns at me for a moment.

'Are you okay?' She asks and I nod.

'Why wouldn't I be?'

'You look a little tired,'

'I am a little tired,' I laugh.

'Why?'

'Because I went to Rayna's house last night and it was quite late when I got home,'

Her arm drops from my own and I wonder if I've said something wrong. I see her ball up her fists before turning to me, kindness faltering in her voice as she half growls.

'What were you doing at her house?'

'Helping her look after her brother, she's my friend what the heck are you thinking about?'

'You weren't doing anything?'

'What do you m- Oh no! God no, she's my friend, why would you even assume that?'

She plays with a strand of her hair, shrugging and all at once I wonder if she's actually jealous? It seems crazy when I think about it but with her reaction, it could actually be possible.

I shove her shoulder gently and laugh, catching her arm in mine once again.

'I promise you nothing happened, I was just being friendly,'

'Are you sure?'

'Positive?'

She slumps in relief and smiles to herself, all traces of anger gone.

'I'm sorry, I don't know why I acted like that then,'

'It's okay,'

I have an idea why.

On our way to our class, I spot several posters advertising the dance I had been told about on several occasions. Whilst I may have said to Alexis I would be going, I was actually considering bunking with Rayna, not really wanting to go alone.

But, looking at Mia, I recall her saying she's going alone herself and an idea sprouts in my mind. Whilst I am extememely nervous, it's worth and try and I squeeze her arm, getting her attention.

'What's up?' She asks and I smile, trying to build up my confidence before I ask her.

'Are you still going on your own for the school dance?'