Chapter 11 - Rayna

We all hear the slam.

And then the stiletto heels stabbing each step of our stairs.

Evander stares at me, knowing exactly who it is and crawls a little closer. I stroke his head in a rhythmic pattern, trying to sooth him. One thing Evander hates more then anything is angry shouting, he's terrified of it and is known to panic as a result, though I suppose that is my father's fault.

Hayden shoots me a glance and I know he's confused. I think he expects it's just us in the house and so had I. My mother hadn't said one complaint since we were here and so I assumed it was because she'd already left. Apparently not. The boys excitable exclaims must have irritated her whilst she was getting ready.

'Evander! What the hell do you think you're playing at,' She screams and my brother hunches over, terrified of getting into trouble. She emerges from the hallway and stares at us all sat with one another. A venomous scowl poisons her pretty features, all trace of motherly kindness gone.

'He was only playing,' I reply calmly, trying to diffuse the situation before I becomes even worse. Unfortunately, my actions don't work as planned.

'I don't care! He can shut the hell up before I make him sleep outside tonight,'

I study her for the moment, knowing full well that wouldn't happen since I would bring him back in anyway. And if that didn't work, I'd be sleeping outside with him. She uses that threat a lot.

'He's not a dog,' I say instead and I can physically see the anger fuel inside of her.

'He's whatever I say he is,' She says simply. She brushes the brown locks from her face and analyses us with the green eyes that are known for their piercing stare. Earlier I may have stated that whilst Evander's eyes appear to read the mind, my mother's tear it apart.

She then moves her gaze to Hayden and Blake whom are shuffling awkwardly in their seats.

'And who might you be?' She snaps and Hayden sends me a pleading look, pulling Blake a little closer to him.

'This is my friend, Hayden and his cousin, Blake,' I fill in.

'Why are they here,'

'Because I invited them,'

She appears defeated, opening and closing her mouth in an ungainly fashion as she tries to make excuse without embarrassing herself in front of the guests. Finally she lets a fake smile shape her lips and her eyes narrow.

'Well hello, sorry about the entrance I become rather huffy before work. I'm Jane and it's lovely to meet you,'

She brushes down her blazer whilst Hayden smiles back up at her. He stands and strides over towards her, offering his hand to shake. I can see the momentary disgust corrode her sickly sweet features but it's gone barely a second later, invisible to those who don't look for it.

'Thank you for having us here,'

She shrugs and picks up her bag to search around it, pulling out her phone and tapping it with her polished nails.

'You'll be okay tonight won't you?' She says vaguely.

'Huh?'

'On your own, you'll be okay on your own right?'

I repress the urge to frown. Sure I'm not stupid and I'm old enough to take care of myself and Evander but I would prefer it if she stayed.

'Where will you be?'

'Work. It's why I haven't been in this morning. I'll be back at two or three I'd say,' She considers something for a moment, 'If you want I can give Kyle a call,'