Chapter19: Goodnight Johnny, sleep well

It was a cold and a miserable day, dark clouds gathered at the cementery as we walked through the old rusty gate. Angie grabbed my hand, she hated the cemetery and was always very scared of it, she always believed in ghosts. 

We circled around until we got to a grave stone that said "Joseph, Christopher Walters." Sam,Ricky, Bob, James, Mikey and Francis carried Johnny's body in a coffin behind us. There was a grave digger waiting to burry him. They slowly lowered it into the ditch, "Wait! Angie cried. "Maybe we could have some sort of speech." she added. The guys looked at each other and they one by one said something they remembered about Johnny. "Johnny was....well what can I say, he stuck up for all of us." Sam said looking down. "Great guy, is all that I can say." Ricky mentioned. "He always had a way with the cops" one of them laughed. "He was the reason I never gave up and why I'm still here." Angie said quietly, whipping her eyes. "Jake, have you got something to say." Ricky asked and then they all looked at me. "I know that Johnny got into trouble a lot but he did it all for Angie and I thank him for trying so hard for her." I said, swallowing hard not to cry in front of everyone. Angie rubbed my back and then put a rose on his coffin she whispered "Goodbye, I will love you forever." And then she looked down as the grave digger started to burry him. I looked at every ones face, they were all sad but they had their chins up looking straight, the're though even when their sad I though to myself, and then I noticed a very familiar face who I didn't remember coming in with us. And then I realised I was looking at Johnny's brother Joel, he must have been hiding from us.

I tugged Angie on the hand and then discreetly pointed at him, she opened her mouth with surprise, "Its Joel!" she said out loud. Joel heard and then looked at us and waved. After the funeral was finished and we were heading towards Sam's car, Joel walked up to us, "Hi guys, terrible isn't it, you never know the time and place." he said with a sad voice and tears in his eyes which I though I would never see. "And Angie your pregnant, I had no idea." he cried looking at her bump. "Well maybe you would have if you called once in a while." she snapped. "I know, I know but you knew the situation with me and Johnny." he added. We knew they had a fight, Johnny was stubborn and Joel was worried about Johnny that's all. I hoped one of them was going to make piece first but now it was too late, and I though we should forget about this whole thing once and for all. I like Joel, he was different than Johnny, more smart looking and he was intelligent. He always wanted to find a wife, get a good job and to settle down somewhere outside town. While Johnny was a trouble maker who had a way with people and was lucky smart ass. He never wanted to settle down, never thought of having kids until they accually happened. 

"How about if we just forget about it, we go home and have some sort of dinner." I suggested. "Good thinkin Jake, how's that Angie huh?" he asked. "Alright, I don't want any conflict with Johnny's family" she said smiling. And we all drove home, we wanted the guys to come over for dinner but they decided to hit the bar to drink over Johnny's death. Angie was relived by the news because when ever they come over they leave a pile of mess after them. For dinner Angie made a massive Turkey that would be enough for a whole crowd. "Christmas?" Joel asked her with puzzled face. "No I was accually expecting those hairy little troublemakers to join us but they decided to hit the bar." she told him. 

After dinner Joel had to go he said he had some paper work. "Where do you work?' Angie asked. "I sell houses." he answered looking proud. "That would explain your new car." Angie smiled. "Yes it pays quite good." he admited. "I better get going, heres my adress and phine number, if you need me." he gave us a small piece of paper. "Thanks, I'm glad we can count on you." Angie nodded sadly. He put his coat on and said Goodbye. After he was gonne we went to sleep, I heard Angie cry so I went to her bedroom and climbed into her bed. "Hey its ok now its ok..." I whispered hugging her. She stoped crying and I heard her whisper "Goodnight Johnny,sleep well."