Chapter 4: Aftermath

"Jake, get up." My sister said quietly. She was standing in my door with her hair and make up all done up; she was still adjusting the collar of her white work blouse. Even though her face was filled with colour from her blush and powder, I could tell she didn't sleep much as her eyes were sunken and she could barely cover her dark circles. I turned to face her while still rubbing my eyes. "What do you want so early?" I asked. "I'm leaving early, Johnny can't drive me and I'm opening." She told me while adjusting her earrings. "I didn't have time to make you guys breakfast so you're gonna have to do it." she continued. I waved my hand at her as to swat her away like a fly and I turned into my covers again. "Yeah, alright alright." I mumbled. For a minute I paused while she was still standing there. "Is he awake?" I asked. "He was a while ago, in and out but he's asleep again so don't wake him." I looked at her and nodded. She closed my door and I could hear her say goodbye before leaving the apartment.

****(Johnny's narrative)****

I woke up in my bed the next morning as if nothing happened. My head was pounding like I was having the worst hangover in the world yet I didn't remember having a single beer or scotch. It hurt to breathe or move. I felt sick to my stomach and my mouth was dry. I licked my lips and instantly felt a sting; my lip was badly cut. I traced my face with my fingers and felt a plaster on my forehead. Shit, I must have got into a fight. Suddenly I had a flashback of Peter Langmyer and Sam and Ricky in the parking lot. I panicked and turned to Angie's side of the bed as to quickly explain myself to her so she wouldn't be mad but she was gone. Her side of the bed was cold; she must have got up a while ago. I was wearing the same t-shirt as last night but my jeans were missing. I could hear someone was up in the kitchen so I grabbed another pair of pants that were draped over the chair underneath Angie's dresser table. It was painful to get up and I struggled moving my body out of the bed. My chest was on fire. Then I remembered Repeat standing over me and kicking me in the ribs. The bastard is starting to really get under my skin, I thought to myself. After I eventually pulled my jeans on I ventured out into the apartment with my head still spinning. I could hear oil simmering on the pan but to my surprise it wasn't Angie making breakfast; it was Jake. He turned to look at me as he was frying eggs. "You're up." He stated. "Yeah but my head is killing me." I groaned while rubbing my temple. "Well maybe it wouldn't if you stopped getting in fights." He replied. "Don't lecture me kid and just tell me where the aspirin is." I replied in an annoyed tone. I already knew Angie was going to give me hell for last night and I sure didn't need his input. He handed me a couple of pills. "I'm just saying would be nice if you stopped being such a selfish asshole and thought about how all of this is making Angie feel too." Jake said as he was sliding me over a glass of water. I gulped the water and swallowed the pills while smouldering at him. "Come on Jake, have you looked outside the window? Haven't you noticed it's rough all over." I pointed out. "This was nothing, just didn't want Mike getting jumped on his own over some broad." I added. I felt responsible for Mikey, he let me crash at his ma's house all the time when my parents kicked me out. To be honest they all have but I always felt like Mike was entitled to an infinite number of favours after he introduced me Angie. I felt bad, they were dating at the time but I couldn't help myself; as soon as I saw her I knew there was no one else. I could see she felt it too and the rest is history. Of course telling him was the hardest part, we even ended up having a friendly punch up outside the diner but we laughed it off the next day. I knew Vivian Langmyer was no girl for him but if he was happy I didn't care. "I know but I just wish you stayed out of trouble for her sake." He continued. "Don't forget I have a reputation to keep, if you stay low for too long the rats start crawling out the sewers." I explained. He looked at the floor with a disappointed look on his face. What does he know I thought. After a moment of reflection he replied. "Well what about Angie.?"

"Don't worry kid, I'll talk to her." I said as I grabbed a cigarette from my jean pocket. Jake rolled his eyes "You really shouldn't be smoking, your chest didn't sound good." I lit a cigarette, took a drag and blew the smoke in his face just to piss him off. "You're an asshole." He said and waved the smoke away with his hand, scrunching his face in disgust. He turned the stove off and stormed off. "Where you going?" I asked with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth.