Gang Princess

Waking up to the sound of police sirens and gun shots was new to me and my 19 year old sister Angie. We had been living in one of the roughest parts of Brooklyn for about a year but whatever I do I still can't get used to it. The though of someone getting robbed or shot outside your window was horrifying and most nights I cannot sleep. Angie seems immune to all this commotion and keeps saying how it's much better than hearing our mom and her lowlife boyfriend argue and party till early hours of the morning. They were drug addicts who loved to drink and party but most nights ended with one of them passed out on the kitchen sometimes with a black eye or two. Our mom never used to be like that; before Dad died she was the perfect mom but she couldn't handle being on her own without him and without justice. You see our Dad was murdered by a biker gang, stabbed and left for dead for 22?....23? dollars in his wallet; they took his wedding ring too. They never caught them, the police couldn't even establish what county they were from and they vanished. After that my mom never slept or ate and she eventually turned to pills to help her nerves until she escalated completely and started bringing home all sorts of human waste boyfriends she could find who got her into drugs. After she turned the house into a filthy party dungeon for Steve and his friends we were in trouble. It would sometimes feel as if I was in Steve's way and one night he was drunk and started beating me up. That's when Angie knew it was time to get us out of there.

We used the money our dad left us or whatever was left of it for a train ticket to New York. We stayed in shelters for the homeless until Angie found a job as a waitress. We live in a bad area full of gangs and hoods but we could only afford rent in this area as the nice ends are very expensive. I'm 14, my name is Jake. I go to Townsend Harris high.  I really like school. It's nice being praised for doing well and it's something I haven't had back home. All I would ever hear is "You piece of worthless shit, go to your room and stay out my way". But now its different Angie has been like a mom to me, making sure I'm safe and fed. Angie likes working at the diner too, everyone goes there, she gets a big tips and get's asked out all the time by smart-asses and gang members, so she's pretty entertained. Her boyfriend Johnny also knows as Slade, often gets jealous and threatens anyone who even looks at her. They're very different. Slade is arrogant and likes to mess around like a kid; hes funny too but has a short temper if anyone tries to mess with him. He has dark messy hair that curls at the ends from all the grease he puts in it. He always has a comb in his pocket he uses to brush the sides to the back. He has brown eyes with a fraction of green you can see in the sunlight which is not very often seeing as he's basically nocturnal. Johnny has a way of looking at people, it's intimidating, feels like he is reading you all the time. He gets into a lot of fights with guys from other gangs and Angie gets real mad about it but deep inside she likes his dangerous side and shes always there to look after his wounds, she really loves him. Angie is happy and kind but also has her head screwed on. She has has long strands of chocolate brown hair with glipses of gold that she likes to curl and put into a beehive, she says it makes her feel glamorous like Priscila Presley and she jokes how johnny could be her Elvis if he wasnt clad in cuts and leather all the time. Her skin is a pale honey colour and she catches freckles in the summer. Everyone calls her a gang princess because of Johnny but also because she often gets involved in what he does on the streets. His friends often taunt him about how she's tamed him and made him more soft which he hates and often comes back with bitter insults. But I know she's changed him for the better and he cares about her a lot. He has become her protector which means that noone can mess with us.

This Morning I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs Angie was making in the kitchen. I quickly changed and ran to ran to the kitchen, on the way there Johnny caught up with me and we began to race through the living room into the kitchen, I saw the seat and rushed for it but I was too slow Johnny had already snatched it before me. "Too slow punk" he laughed. Angie looked up from the frying pan "Calm down kids, there's food for everyone!" she giggled. She put the eggs out on plates with bacon and handed them to us. She was already wearing her work clothes and her hair was up so I knew she was just about to head out. "Hey babe i'll drop you off in my car its too cold for you to walk" Johnny said with his mouth full. You could barely call that thing a car, the engine was failing to work and it needed so much petrol to run, it was as loud as a truck full of cows. But it was one of Johnny's precious things right after Angie of course. As soon as he finished he dumped the plate in the sink so hard in nearly smashed;he put on his leather jacket, boots and grabbed the car keys "Lets go Angie, see ya later kid behave" Johnny added. "Bye Have fun at school" Angie waved. It suddenly went quiet and I went to wash the dishes from breakfast I didn't notice the clock I needed to get a move on it was the first day of school after the Christmas break I couldn't be late.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ So keeping in mind I was about 13 or 14 when I wrote this story I am now improving and correcting it from mistakes and chapters that might contradict themselves or chapters that are incorrect according to the 60's, I am hoping to get back to writing again soon.

Liking this story? Vote, Fan and Follow me