Chapter 2: The Bad Side of Town

My first day back at school was awful. The previous semester I was constantly being sent to the principal's office for starting fights in the cafeteria when the rough kids would pick on me. Angie was not impressed but Jonny was glad I was beginning to stand up for myself. I always knew if it ever gets too much and I get myself in serious trouble I can threaten them with Slade and his gang but I want to be able to fend for myself.

I've been worried about him and Ang, they make a good couple and I know she's happy but with Johnny..Slade being Slade she's been left feeling paranoid that he will eventually get arrested for his dodgy business or worse...killed. She fears there will be nothing left for her to do when he gets jumped by Davis and his crew who he is constantly feuding with. I know she loves him but I also know she'd like him to try and get a better job. At the moment Johnny helps his uncle who's a mechanic but he's been slacking a lot. I'm not too sure what he does at night but a few of his pals are known for armed robbery and street muggings, I sometimes wonder if that's what Johnny does at night too.

After school I had to walk home as always.I hate walking home on my own I try to get my friends to walk with me but they all have houses on the better part of the city where nothing bad ever happens and you don't hear of someone being stabbed or a fight with guns and smashed up cars, they don't have to worry about always having to looking back; remembering faces of those who hurt you.

I sometimes think how nice it must be to have two parents and a dog and a big house where the walls are white not brown from the pipes leaking and the wallpaper turning soggy. But despite all that I'm way happier in the crappy apartment with Ang and Johnny than with my mom. We had a good life before my father was murdered; we were never extremely rich but we were happy. Even when my dad lost his job at the factory we were there for eachother. When my mother started drinking and would bring back men home, Ang would take me to the movies and made sure we got home as late as possible so by the time we got back they were passed out.

As I was walking past the deserted factory where the homeless like to crash for the night I saw Johnny with his two buddies Sam, and Rick they were standing in front of the factory almost on the road. "Whats up kid? Johnny gave me a grin the sort of cocky grin he does when he tries to impress someone. "What ya standing like that for?" I asked, it looked all too innocent to me something was up and I knew it. "Haven't you heard there's a fight tonight" Rick said with his Spanish accent as he was somewhere from South America yet he would never tell anyone in case they tried to tell on him. Oh great I thought that's just what I need to finish this awesome day. "Oh really and does Angie know about this fight!" I snapped at Johnny. "No kid, and I'm gonna need you to be quiet about that..not a word." I saw that coming if the fight is dangerous and involves weapons then he doesn't tell Ang until its all over and hes all cut up and beaten. Once again I had to cover him up but then again i also diden't want Angieto worry about him she already got enough worries about the trouble I cause at school. "Ok i will not tell her this time but only cos i don't want her worried" I said calmly. "Thanks Kid" he said grinning again. And i walked away. When I finally got home I knew Angie was not home because she has a late shift today and she was gonna be back at 8pm. I made myself a sandwich and I went to eat it at the TV. I felt my eye lids getting heavier and heavier and I soon fell asleep on sofa. I had a dream about Ang standing by the window looking out and crying, her hands were tightly wrapped around her waist and she looked at me When i woke up I was puzzled about the dream i just had it was so depressing seeing my sister like that , i looked at the clock it was 7:50pm, Angie would be back soon, i took my backpack and i dragged through the floor to my room. I heard the door open it was her, "I'm home!" a happy voice cried. It was Angie she looked happy as always, she was holding shopping bags and i run to greet and help her. "Hey is Johnny pie home?" she asked surprised. "Ummmm no" i replied after a long thought. She gave me a look and its as if she read my mind, "Let me guess a FIGHT!!" she shouted. I thought to myself Johnny is screwed and he might blame it on me but i diden't tell her. She sat down on the sofa and covered her face with her hands, she was tired not physically but mentally tired, shes has had enough of those nasty fights over what? she always questioned herself. I sat besides her and i put my head on her shoulder all we could do now is sit their and wait and wait for what?...Johnny.was he coming back alive?...........