Epilogue

"You don't need to be strong like a hero. You just need to be better than you were yesterday."

- Tarunx3
_______________________

• TWO YEARS LATER •

TODAY WAS THE DAY. THE day where Gretal was forced to be one of the bridesmaids of John and Beatrice's wedding. She fucking hated it. She's going to be honest, she fucking hated it. Not the wedding, just the heels she was wearing. They dug into her ankles and pinched at her toes and she wanted to just throw her heels at the groom for making her wear these fucking monsters in the first place.

Gretal huffed. No. You can do this. You're already an adult. You're nineteen. Pull your shitty self together, Davidson!

She took a deep breath, flattening down the fabric of her sky-blue dress. You dealt with Gabe's opening ceremony for Baystone Academy - which was a fucking disaster. If you can deal with that, you can deal with shitty heels and a wedding. You dealt with Gabe's powers when he first discovered them, if you can deal with that you can deal with heels.

She took a deep breath, taking a step down the aisle. She smiled straight ahead, trying not to black out. Fuck it. She wished she had Gabe's power and could just blend into the shadows like a fucking ninja.

Speaking of Gabe, he stood a little to her left, holding the rings on a small white pillow for the bride and groom. For a twelve-year-old, he looked so handsome in his tux. For once he looked innocent.

To be honest, over the past two years Gabe Fisher became a little too cocky with his attitude. John says he gets it from her. Maybe for once he's right.

Then again, unlike Gretal, Gabe actually has a friend by his side. She glances at the row of seats and finds Alec Bower sitting in the back with his mom, staring straight ahead. Gretal wondered how a twelve-year-old boy could look so fucking pretty. Look at that fucking face. He's a fucking pretty boy. His black hair was slightly curly and a strand seemed to constantly fall over his blue eyes, and Gretal watched as he blew at it and tried to push it away. His nose would scrunch up in frustration and annoyance and he sighed in defeat.

Gretal sighed. Alec Bower looked prettier than her as of right now, especially since Gretal kept on glaring at the floor as her heels continued to dig into her skin.

She watched as Beatrice slipped the wedding ring onto John's finger, tears in her eyes. Gretal also tears up - not just because it's a beautiful moment, but because Beatrice Richards (Beatrice Summers now, actually) has to deal with John Summers until death parts them. (Though, death can part them a little earlier, if Beatrice really asked Gretal to do so.)

The ceremony is over and the bride and groom share a kiss, everyone is standing up and clapping as a result. Gretal claps and goes towards Gabe, who latches onto her arm.

"Nice wedding, huh?" Gretal smiles.

Gabe gives her a mischievous smile. "It was. But I feel bad for Beatrice now. She has to deal with John for the rest of her life."

Gretal's eyes widen in amazement. "I was thinking the same thing!"

He laughs and Gretal ruffles his blonde hair, and in return Gabe tries to push her away, saying his mom will get mad. His shadow quickly morphed into a hand, holding onto her wrists as he took a breath.

Gretal pouts. "It's no fair when you use your power. It's an advantage that I don't have."

He rolls his eyes. "Like controlling shadows is an advantage."