Five: Never Stop Fighting

FIVE: NEVER STOP FIGHTING

"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear until my dream of a world where dignity, honor, and justice becomes the reality we all share I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

- Superman. Action Comics #775 (2001)

____________________

GRETAL ATE HER DINNER SILENTY, avoiding all eye contact with her mom. It was the second time Gretal texted her saying that she was at a friend's house. And to be honest, her mom was pissed.

Gretal felt her stare and she tried so hard not to squirm under her gaze. She munched on her meatloaf, thinking that she should hide before her mom desides to pop the questions.

"So, Gretal." Her mom said.

Too late. Gretal glanced up and stared at her mom's eyebrows. Well, it was better than making eye contact. "Yeah?"

"Your father called this morning. He wanted to talk to you."

"Well, what do you know? I'm full, I'm going to bed. Bye." Gretal quickly stood up and shoved her chair in so hard she thought the table would crack.

Her mom held up a hand. "Gretal, please, just listen."

Gretal put her plate down, practically slamming it. "No, mom. Why should I talk to him? He said he was going to stay out of our lives and move on, and he is. So why the hell is he coming back now?"

Before her mother could answer, she stormed out. She ran upstairs to her room and slammed the door, placing the lock. And something clicked inside her. With a glance at the door, Gretal slid the window and climbed. The window gently blew past her as she climbed to the roof and she sat there, staring at the stars.

Her mom just didn't understand. She didn't know how it felt. Gretal blinked the tears out of her eyes. She layed down, crossing her arms over her stomach.

Her fucking father was a billionaire and he didn't give a rat's ass about them. And Gretal liked it that way.

· · · ·

Gretal woke up to the sound of chirping. She glanced up and almost fell off the roof, yelping as she pulled away from the bird beside her. It flew away, chirping. She sighed, rubbing the side of her face. Sluggishly, she checked her phone, which read 6:48 A.M.

Crap, she thought, I'm going to be late.

Gretal quickly showered and dress. She fastened her hair into a braid and as she was exiting her room she stopped short. Dammit, mom's downstairs. She looked out the window and holding her breath, she jumped. It was probably suicide, but she landed safely on a patch of grass. She glanced up, making sure there was no witnesses.

By the time she got to school Gretal was exhausted and felt like she might faint any moment. Cooper followed her, curiosity perked to the highest level.

"Gretal."

She kept on walking.

"Gretal."

She opened her locker, shoving her bag in.

"Gretal."

She glanced up. "Yeah?"

Cooper grabbed her hand, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles. Gretal was really going to faint any moment now. God, Cooper, what the hell are you doing to me?

Cooper leaned downward, whispering. "Are you okay?"

Gretal nodded, trying very hard to hide the blush on her cheeks, and turned away. Cooper leaned against the lockers, trying to see her face.