Nine: In A Serious Pickle

NINE: IN A SERIOUS PICKLE

"If the prospect of living in a world where trying to respect the basic rights of those around you and valuing each other simply because we exist are such daunting, impossible tasks, then what sort of world are we left with? And what sort of world do you want to live in?"

- Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman #170

_____________________

GRETAL'S ANGER FOR FUEGO WAS over the top. As she swung from building to building, her grappling hook latching on to the edges, she thought of the many ways she could burn his freaking fire out. She barely handled him the first time though, so she wondered how she was going to water him out now.

What's worse is she left Cooper hanging with some lame excuse! ("Um, my mom needs help with her garden! See you later!" is what she said.) Cosby literally had to call on the wrong time.

Apparently, Fuego likes to rob a few banks these days. Gretal landed behind the building, almost twisting her ankle. Damn, Cosby jinxed it, she thought bitterly. Screams rang her eyes and a loud explosion vibrated against her skull. With narrowed eyes and a one-step plan to punch Fuego in his ugly face, she opened the back doors and ran in.

To be honest, it would be a lie to say the bank wasn't on fire. Flames scorched the walls and people were running in panic, literally doing the opposite of a duck-and-roll situation. Gretal ran to the nearest person and held onto their arm.

"Go through the back exit! Hurry!"

Dozens of people followed her order and ran, screaming in terror. Smoke touched the ceiling and Gretal tried her best not to suffacate. The day she needed a pair of firemen, right? Second time Fuego struck this week and she just wanted to kick his crotch and burn his fire out. She was determined to kick some burning ass. Well, unless Fuego burns her first.

And there he was, just shooting fireballs at the walls and counters. Gretal frowned. Wasn't he going to steal or something?

"Hey, fire breath!" She shouted.

Fuego turned, rolling his brown eyes. His entire face looked orange and it disoriented as the flames overlapped each other. He's not wearing a mask, she noticed.

"Look, Athena, I honestly don't have time for your jokes-"

"What the hell are you doing? You're not wearing a mask? Last time I saw you-"

Fuego frozed, almost confused. Like, why the hell does she care? He blinked and glared down at her, flames twisting and raising him upwards.

"That's none of your concern."

He waved his hand and a flame rushed toward her. Gretal dodged, the flames almost tickling her skin. She narrowed her eyes. Truth is she couldn't go against Fuego at all. Its not like there a hose nearby. The last time they fought together John was against him. Even fighting Arachne was a lucky shot! All she had was her brain and a bunch of knives and a grappling hook.

"Fuego, look, I don't know you. And I don't know you're reason for becoming who you are-"

He shot a fireball over her head and luckily it missed her. "You want to know why I'm like this? Because I'm misunderstood! Even out of this fire I'm dangerous to people, and I never even did anything!"

"Then stop being this person people are making you be!" Gretal stepped closer, arms up in surrender. She's pretty sure that was the biggest mistake she could do as a sidekick but she did it anyways. (Actually, its probably the biggest mistake any superhero could do but Spider-Man and others did it a bunch of times.)