Twelve: Get the Ants Out of Your Pants

TWELVE: GET THE ANTS OUT OF YOUR PANTS

All we can do is our best and sometimes the best we can do is start over."

-Agent Peggy Carter, Captain America.

____________________

IF GRETAL SAID THAT SHE wasn't flipping out she would definitely be lying. She stayed in the living room, sitting on the couch with Gabe's head on her lap as he slept. Cooper was on her right, his eyes glancing back and forth from the TV to Gretal.

"Gretal-"

"Cooper, please. I really need you to be quiet."

His eyebrows narrowed and he stood up, running a hand through his hair. "Fine, I'll be on my way then."

Gretal watched as he left the room and headed straight for the exit. She quickly stood up, gently putting Gabe on the sofa. She opened the door just as it slammed shut and grabbed Doyle's arm. He turned, hazel eyes clouded over.

"What is it, Davidson?"

Gretal eyes narrowed slightly. "I'm sorry. I just need time to think about all of this. My dad, the, um, car accident. Its all overwhelming."

"Don't you see, Gretal," Cooper said gently, "I'm trying to help you. But you're so damn stubborn."

She rolled her eyes, anger bubbling up like boiled water. With one arm crossed over her sling, she glared at him. "I'm being stubborn? For your fucking info, you're the one who's stubborn. I just told you I need some time to take this all in and you tell me I'm stubborn? What the hell! I'm trying to not bring you into this whole mess and I'm trying to get through the fact that fucking villains are attacking my dad's company. And you think you have the right to say I'm stubborn. Yes, I'm stubborn. I cant believe this. I cant believe you. I'm apologizing to you and- uhh. Why are you so fustrating?"

Despite the fierce rant, she leans against the wall and slides down to the floor. And all emotions poured out. Worst emotional roller coaster ever, she thought to herself. What made it all worst was the fact that Cooper just stood there, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Gretal wished he would grow some balls and just leave. Or maybe that's how he showed that he has balls; staying there showed her that he wasn't going to dodge the situation. For some reason, she found that extremely sexy. Gosh, I suck.

Cooper finally did something in those three minutes. He slowly sat beside her, like he was testing the waters. She was sort of thankful for that. He wasn't clingy enough to jump in. Fortunately, he slowly wrapped his arms around her. And Gretal being Gretal, she immediately hugged him back, clinging to the smell of him and the feeling of just having him near. She never felt so desperate before. Then she realized it. Her mom had been desperate for years, clinging to the idea of her loving Alexander Davidson and him loving Mona Cartridge.

Cooper sighed, his breath curling around the strands of her hair. "I'm sorry."

She sniffled, sort of laughing. "You're forgiven. I hope I am too."

He shrugged, a smile forming. "I don't know. . ."

"Oh, shut up, you dork."

Cooper leaned back, glancing down at her. "Do you want me to stay or should I. . . go?"

"Please stay." Then she cleared her throat. "I mean, I wouldn't mind if you, um, stayed."

He flasher her a small grin. Gretal tried not to roll her eyes. She had to be honest with herself (and everyone else in the world): Cooper's arms felt amazing around her. Okay, slow your horses, Davidson.