Ten: Fuego to The Rescue

TEN: FUEGO TO THE RESCUE

"I've always done what I truly believed was right. At first, people called me a hero for it. . . and then a villain. As the memory of what I've done and been - fades. I hope I will be seen in a different light."

- Hal Jordan, Final Night Vol. 1 #4

___________________

GRETAL WAS SORT OF WEIRD the next morning. She was already dressed for school and already had her mom's famous pancakes. But now as she stood randomly in the hallway by her locker so early in the morning she just felt like a stranger. To be honest, she was on a mission to see who the hell Fuego was. She hoped she could be able to recognize him. Maybe his voice or his face. Well, she barely saw his face since it was being consumed by fire but she hoped his voice would be recognizable .

The front doors of the building opened and Gretal glanced up to see Cooper striding in. He was fiddling with his camera and literally almost ran into her.

"Oh, um, hey." He said awkwardly.

"Hi. Why are you here so early?"

He scratched the back of his neck. "Um, someone wants me to take photos of the debate team. I thought now was my best shot. Are you okay? You seem jumpy."

Gretal waved him off. She was secretly afraid that if she met Fuego he might burn her to ashes. "I'm fine. Really."

Cooper looked around then back at her. Gretal could tell he was confused since his eyebrows furrow in a cute way. Wait, what?

"Um," he said, "I'm guessing you're not here to see me take pictures of the debate team, right?"

She laughed nervously. "No. If only it was less complicated like that. I'm just looking for someone."

Cooper pursed his lips and slowly nodded. "Right. Well, duty calls."

As mature as Cooper was, Gretal snickered. Right, duty. Cooper chuckled and slowly walked away, only glancing back once to smile at her. Gretal didn't know why, but she suddenly felt awkward around Doyle. She did see him in his boxers and also saw him taped to a toilet. So why was talking to him so awkward? It wasn't him, obviously. But its like Gretal's awkward hormones were on overdrive. She blamed the whole thing on the coffee shop. In that moment her heart was pounding against her chest and Cooper was looking as adorable as ever and she felt like her brain might explode.

Gretal was about to give up on her little mission until a familiar face passed by. She squinted, not really sure why she suddenly had interest on rebel Oscar Rodriguez. Maybe it was the fact that he borrowed her chemistry notes a week ago and didn't give them back. Yeah, that was it.

"Rodriguez!" She yelled.

Oscar turned, eyes narrowed into a glare. "What the hell is - oh, Gretal. Hey."

She raised her eyebrows, sort of suprised that he didn't lash out on her. "Um, you borrowed my notes. Can I have them back?"

He nodded. His hair was sort of a mess, like he didn't have time to fix it or just climbed out of bed. His eyes were a dark brown, like coffee beans. Gretal ran into Oscar billions of times, but lately he seemed on edged.

"Right. Um, I have them in my locker. Follow me."

"Well." Gretal rolled her eyes. "What else am I going to do?"

Once they reached his locker, Oscar ducked his head and rumaged through the mess. Gretal just rocked back in forth on her feet. To be honest, she rather watch Cooper take pictures of the debate team.