Twenty-Five: You Just Ruined a Perfect Reunion

TWENTY-FIVE: YOU JUST RUINED A PERFECT REUNION

"Someone once told me that the suit doesn't make the hero, so you can fight it. You can be a hero. You just have to have faith in what you are and what you're gonna be. It's your choice, kid. You choose."

- Booster Gold, Smallville, Ep. #10-18
____________________

JOHN TOOK A DEEP BREATH, glancing inside the window that gave him a view into Gretal's hospital room. Her mother sat beside her, brushing her hair out of her eyes. He remembered the hatred in the woman's eyes when he told her what happened, how her tears started raining down her cheeks as she commanded him to take her to her daughter.

Not only that, John remembered everything that happened. He was still awake when he collapsed to the ground that night, watching the entire scene through his eyes like a statue. He saw Gretal shoot Orion in the chest, tears running down her face. By the look in her eyes, she probably didn't know she was crying. And then Oscar, who fired at Icarus only to be fired back.

Then Gretal. Gretal, who always helped her partners before herself, ran towards him. And Icarus, who he thought was dead, made a gun appear in his hand and pulled the trigger. Then the bullet, almost like it was in slow motion, dug into Gretal's back and through her chest.

He hissed at the memory. The doctors said she was lucky to be alive. Now they just have to wait till she wakes up, which they said would be in a few hours. It's been four hours. And John is about to grab Gretal by her shoulders and shake her. Of course, he won't be able to do that with the look her mother keeps sending his way.

He glanced up when he saw Oscar coming through the corner of his eyes. "Hey." He swallowed.

Oscar waved. These past few days he was pretty quiet, almost like he shouldered all the blame. John then realized that he did. He glanced back at him.

"Y'know, it wasn't-"

"Stop."

Oscar took a deep breath, looking into Gretal's hospital room. "She's my childhood friend. I used to get bullied a lot during kindergarten. She was there in my class, but we barely talked. Then one day, I guess she couldn't stand it. She defended me, even punched the other kids in the face."

John smiled to himself. That sounds exactly like her.

"But then she punched me in the face."

Okay, that is definitely her.

"She told me she won't accept me giving up. And even now, when she discovered my power. It felt like she was saying the same thing. I never once paid her back for everything's she's done for me. She even went to make sure I was okay, and because of that she got shot."

"Gretal wouldn't want you to think like that."

"Well, too bad. Because that's how it is. It's my fault she's in that hospital bed."

John gently put a hand on his shoulder, but Oscar shoved him away.

"Please. Just don't."

"She's going to tell you the same thing when she wakes up."

"I don't care." Oscar muttered, standing up and walking to the elevator.

John sighed. He wonders if Gretal ever gave up.

• • • •

Her eyes fluttered open, glancing up at a white ceiling and she blinked, back arching. Then she felt a jab in her chest and decided to just take it slow.