Eight: Born to Wear The Mask

EIGHT: BORN TO WEAR THE MASK

"I had my eyes opened. I came to realize that I had more to offer this world than just making things blow up."

- Tony Stark, Iron Man

____________________

THE NEXT DAY IT WAS no school (thank God) and Gretal decided not to even stay home (many reasons, obviously) and take care of Summers instead. John had it hard. He caught a fever over a hundred degrees (Fuego's fault) and he layed in his room. First of all, Gretal didn't think he had a room. She just thought he slept on the sofas. And second, his room was bigger than the living room itself. She had to feed him soup and press a cold towel on his forehead. His skin was hot to the touch and Gretal was afraid she'd burn herself.

Gretal turned on the TV and selected on Bob's Burgers and John chuckled sadly. He snuggled against the covers and laughed as Louise made an evil face. She smiled as John laughter lowly filled the room. But then his laughing turned to coughing. She handed him a glass of water and he hungrily drank.

"John, you should go to the hospital."

"N-"-cough-"ah." John looked up at her. "You're a great doctor."

"Thanks, but what if it only gets worst?" Gretal said.

He shrugged and slumped against the pillow, watching Bob make a couple of burgers. Gretal sighed and looked at the TV. Her mind was racing. What if another villain decides to pop up, or even worse - Fuego. She couldn't handle him. She needed Electric just like he needed Athena. They were a team and that they stuck together. That's the whole point of superhero and sidekick.

Gretal glanced at him. "Are your powers okay?"

He shook his head. "After my little fight with Fuego my powers are weak. I can't even shock anyone without passing out. I'm powerless for now."

She wanted to snort and tell him, Now you know how it feels. But she decided against it. She didn't want to put any more pressure on him. Who knows what could happen?

John grabbed her hand, despite the fact that he was really sick. "I need you to do patrols for me around the city. Can you do that?"

She nodded.

"Today. Do a check around the city. That's all I'm asking. If there's a problem, if its small like a robbery than I trust you to handle it. But if its big, like villains with powers than stand back and just call for Agent Cosby. He could handle it."

Gretal nodded. Cosby's words rang in her ears. If Arachne and Fuego are teaming up you better be on alert, Athena. Her eyes narrowed as she thought Arachne and her fucking long blonde hair. Oh, how she would love to use Fuego to burn that bitch into ashes. If only she could convince Fuego to be good. If she could than she could beat Arachne and her master plan with Fuego and Electric - once John was better and on his feet, of course. But Fuego seemed so thick headed that it might be impossible to talk to him without having a fire ball thrown at your face. And his voice sounded so familiar. Gretal was sure he must've seen him without the flames hugging him. She has to know him.

Her phone buzzed and she glanced at the message.

COOPER "ASSHAT" DOYLE. 11:24 AM: Gretal, can you come over to the company? I have something to show you.

Gretal snorted at his message. He didn't even shorten it. And he even capitalized her name! Wow, she really needed to teach him how to send texts.

She glanced at John and for once she didn't think of Doyle. She quickly typed back.

GRETAL DAVIDSON. 11:25 AM: srry, i can't. maybe tomorrow, or you can come over tonight.