Sixteen: Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game

SIXTEEN: DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME

"Strength and virtue must be opposed, must be challenged and tested, or they will not grow. Rain must fall or there are no rainbows. Night must come, or we do not come to love the light of day. That is the way of things."

-Odin, Thor.

____________________

JOHN WAS FURIOUS, AND BY furious Gretal means that he was having a bitch-fest. It's usually funny when it's not directed towards her. John paced back and forth, Beatrice watching from Gretal's side. Gretal was still in her Athena costume, which really didn't help the situation.

"Are you a fucking idiot?"

Gretal glared at him. "Yeah, I get it from Alexander Davidson. He's the reason why I make mistakes twenty-four-seven."

John shook his head, sending her a glare. "I can't believe you would fucking go after Arachne right aafter you took your cast off. What the hell is wrong with you? Do you do it on purpose? Do you just like having danger kick your ass?"

Beatrice stood up. "John, enough. She went after them to protect the people, right, Gretal?"

"Yes."

"That's why you fucking call for backup, Davidson!"

Gretal stood up, pointing her finger at him. "Don't fucking shout at me. I can hear you just fine. And, yes, I know it was stupid for me to go after them. But I'm fucking okay! I didn't die. And we have way more problems with Arachne than with me at the moment."

Beatrice glanced at her. "What do you mean?"

Gretal took of her gloves and threw them on the couch. "Apparently, Arachne recruited another villain."

John sighed, Gretal guessing he decided to drop the attitude and the fight altogether. "Who's the newbie?"

"Some guy named Orion. Does everyone here have to be named after Greek mythology?"

Beatrice smiled. "Mythology has a great influence on our world. Its a topic we shouldn't really focus on, though."

Gretal glanced at John. "Do know this guy?"

"I met him once. It didn't go well. And after that he didn't show his face for two years."

Gretal shook her head, trying to rack her brain for info. "You think Arachne's recruiting the old villains?"

Beatrice shrugged. "Well, I wouldn't consider Orion an old villain. He's only been gone for two years, making everyone forget about him. And as of right now he's only twenty-two."

"Yeah, but that's not what I meant. Its like she's getting all the forgotten ones."

John shrugged. "It could be. But she has Fuego. Her plan is obvious and oblivious all the same. She's looking for the powerful villains, of course. Its what she' doing with them the doesn't make sense."

Gretal nodded. "Look, let's just focus on Gabe. His mom is the most important thing right now. Let's find her, kick some Arachne ass, and fucking bring Fuego into the good side."

• • • •

Okay, Gretal was freaking out. John decided that today was the perfect day to take Gabe to the S.I.A. to get him tested. John kept telling that they had nothing to worry about, and that Gabe should be worried since he's the one being tested. Gretal ignored Summers and kept Gabe to her side as they entered the large S.I.A, despite the fact that Gabe kept telling that he was okay and she should really let him go.