Chapter 38

Cordelia shook her head as Joseph gave her a bland look.

"I don't understand. Why can't you fix him? You said you would fix him and now you are saying you can't? He's a vampire, how bad can it possibly be?" Cordelia struggled to speak without her voice squeaking.

It was with her words I only just grasped how incredibly grave the situation had gotten. I always knew that Matts health was a bad thing - he was a vampire after all he shouldn't be sick - but for us to be asking the question - why couldn't he be fixed - sounded almost incredibly human...which was why it was more dangerous than anyone could have began to think.

Joseph sat on the question before answering. He looked incredibly tiered, due to have been working for two days on Matts grave condition.

Joseph sighed, scratching his chin "Well, the problems at hand is that Matthew has ingested some sort of poison. This had been specifically designed to burn from the inside out. I don't know what this poison is, and because I don't know what it is I can't seem to understand how to counteract the virus."

He struggled to add anything more, to which he gave his head a shake and shrugged his shoulders - an acton he didn't normally do - was was always so formal. "It's a deadly mix of all things supernatural bonded by magic - I just...there's nothing I can do without the poison itself. I'm sorry."

Cordelia struggled to breath with this new knowledge.

I found my voice and stared at Joseph, "So what you're saying is...that if we don't find whatever he ate or drank, he's going to die."

He huffed and nodded softly, "Yes that's correct." But then he continued, "you see Emily, I've been wanting to chat with you for quite some time. See as you know my line of work isn't exactly clean. I've been investigating a man, your step father, and he seems to be developing new drugs for his gang so to speak. I believe that whatever Matthew was poisoned with it is that drug-"

I hastily cut him off, "Wait. Drugs? You mean..." I gasped, when the sudden realise hit me that the drugs I had found in the fridge in the attic were more dangerous than I originally thought. My hands shook as I rattled my bag for the pills I had stollen from the fridge.

I held the lightly colour pill in between my fingers, "These pills," I nodded towards it, "I-i stole this from the fridge in the attic."

Joseph looked at the pill with eyes wide, astonished. "Just when all hope seems completely lost. I should have came to you sooner."

Cordelia grasped my hand, "It stinks of magic," she stated, "Save my brother Jo," she said, nodding towards the tiny pill.

Joseph held out his hand, in which I placed the pill into. He seemed optimistic and sceptical about the pill all at the same time. It was almost as if he was communicating, this is fantastic but what will this do to save this mans life, all at the same time.

He stood quickly, buttoning his lab coat before he disparaged behind multiple other doors without a word.

I looked to Cordelia for some form of support, seeing that she had her eyes closed, holding fisted hands to her chest in a praying manner almost.

In that moment all I could think was, please save my Matt.

It was several hours that we sat, waiting for some sort of indication that Matt was alright. I struggled to contain my nerves, along with Cordelia we both constantly checked the hallway - just waiting for Joseph. We never spoke the time we waited, because I wasn't sure what I could possibly say that would make any of this alright. I didn't want to speak, I didn't want to make things worse by speaking my mind.