Chapter 28

You know in cheesy tv dramas, where the girl walks in; her hair is flipping through the wind, walking in slow motion, every guy look at her, and nod in appreciation, all the girls stare in jealously?

This was not, one of these moments.

The hall was grand, it was painted in rich white and creams, the floors in the cleanest white marble.

The tables where set in one big square, everyone could associate with everyone, but on the downside, everyone could see and also hear everyone.

I had walked through the big doors, and was welcomed with a healthy rumble of people talking.

But slowly, the talking stopped and everyone had glanced in my direction. Suddenly, I felt that my maxi dress didn't cover enough of my body, and I had the urge to cover myself with my hands.

Everyone's eyes had made me feel as if they saw right through me. Not to mention many eyes dilated and people had to restrain themselves to stay in their seats.

It was fair to say I felt a little more than uncomfortable.

"This is my step daughter, Emily,"

Step daughter? When did we discus that, that it was ok to use the, S Word...

"She is human?" A voice asked.

"Yes," Mark hesitated "But that doesn't matter because no one will touch her, yes?"

No one said anything, silence.

"This wasn't the time to introduce us to the human, Mark,"

My mouth gapped, I was stunned. They kept referring to me as human, it made me sound like I was some sort of animal compared to them. As if they all thought that they were the 'superior' race, and humans were significantly below them.

I had done nothing to them, so why should they have the right to call me human in such an ill manner.

Marks eyebrows rose, "But there wouldn't be another time that I would bring her here, unfortunately I do need to involve her in my way of business,"

That sure sounded as if I was welcomed with open arms. It seemed that bringing me here was more of a chore, rather than a choice.

I found my voice "You all talk about me like I'm not here at all, well, in case you all haven't noticed. I am here, and can talk. On my own. For myself." I said irritably, "Oh and, I am a person you know, I do have feelings, and I suggest all you vampires-" I hissed, "-Get a brain and stop saying human like its such a fowl thing! About all of you probably live off of Human blood - you need humans. But we don't need you."

With that being said I smiled happily and looked at the dazzled faces throughout the room.

"Oh," I bit my lip "It's nice to meet you all."

The man that had recently been arguing with Mark, looked at me with a small smirk.

"I like her," he stated "She's, different."

Marks weary smile turned into a relieved one, his worried eyes went soft and his shoulders had fallen.

"Well that's just bloody fantastic isn't it," I grumbled.

"Emily!" My mom scolded.

I looked over to her and shrugged my shoulders, "If they don't give me respect why should I give them any?" It was much more of a rhetorical question than something I really wanted an answer to.

"Emily," mom grunted through her teeth "Apologise, now."

I clicked my tongue, slinking my jaw from side to side.

"No."

The room went silent and everyone turned to stare at the progressing argument that mom and I were having.

"Excuse me?"

My moms nostrils flared as she tried to keep her cool under all the gazes.

"I said no," I stated.

"I heard what you said Emily-"

"Then why did you ask?" I grunted, folding my arms over my chest.

She threw me a dirty look and smiled sweetly, "We'll continue this later - shall we?" She had whispered the last part almost hissed and turned round to all the men staring intently.

"Can't wait" I grumbled, slumping in my chair as I threw her the snide comment.

A few moments of silence followed by put argument until Mark cleared his throat and spoke gently, "Is everyone here?"

The man that say directly in front of him shuffled in his seat, "No, not yet," he said "There is one more person-"

There was a grunt and a slam and someone spoke "What the hell is going on here?"

Oh no. God. No.

"What is she doing here Mark?"

Oh no.

"What the bloody hell is happening?! Why is she here?"

I crunched my teeth together and slid in my seat to face him.

"I have ears, Matt, I can here you and unfortunately so can everyone else so shut the hell up for a second and speak quietly." I grunted.

I glared coldly into his eyes as he respectfully threw it right back.

"Is this what you had been doing all that time?" I questioned, pursing my lips "Been in a gang, killing wolves. Probably been drinking a lot, how many donors did you go through a week? 200?"

His nostrils flared and his muscles rippled as he tensed them violently.

"I don't need you freaking input, Emily. You're not my mom I can do whatever the hell I want." He stated.

I stiffly stormed my way over to him, stopping a few feet away, close enough to be at elbow length.

"Oh, you can, can you? Well how about this, I don't need you. Never have. Never will. So how about this. You never speak to me again and, whatever this-" I gestured between us, "Was, is over."

"Fine." He agreed looked at me his forehead creases and I saw a harder exterior crust over his pale face.

"Fine."

Suddenly, a dark laugh erupted from his mouth and a horrid look formed in the pools of his eyes.

"You know," he said "I'm actually glad. I won't have to suffer your whining anymore."

"And I'm just that glad I won't have to deal with your poison anymore."

"Good," he snapped back in reply.

"Good." I mimicked. .

"Fine,"

"Fine!" I hissed.

I sliced passed him and stormed my way down the deserted hall.

"Wait a bloody second, you can't just leave! I'm not done with you yet!" Matt hissed behind me.

"that's great Matt," I replied, throwing my sarcastic remark over my shoulder, "But I'm pretty sure I'm done with you."