A Great Night

Naomi Carter

I stared at West then practically flew to the door. I tried and tried to open it but nothing happened. West had to stop me from almost breaking the doorknob. For a moment I just stood there, staring from West to the doorknob simultaneously. Then everything started to sink into my slow brain. And when it did sink in, I had trouble containing myself. Two strong emotions seemed to be battling within me, trying to decide which should stay and which should get the hell out. One of them was anxiety, baked with nervousness, and topped with extra stress. The other was excitement, mixed with joy and a pinch of giddiness.

I did not realize that I was pacing back and forth, lost in thought and had not noticed West Gray sitting casually on the side of my bed, watching me pace. I stopped in front of him, wondering what we should do with our situation. I couldn’t very well yell at the top of my lungs to have Ana come and help, she would wonder what West was doing in my room in the first place. Then West would be banned from ever entering this room for us rising Ana’s suspicions! Wait, is our relationship supposed to be a secret? Well, it would be awkward to live in this house when the whole family… no, I think it would be great. It would somehow be like I’m being introduced as his fiancée! Sweet!

My thoughts continued to ponder on those sorts of things when a thought occurred to me. Not realizing I was pacing again, I came to an abrupt stop and stared at West who still wordlessly watched me. Seeing my troubled expression he raised a brow and asked, “What?”

“I’m sorry you’ll have to sleep on the floor,” I said sympathetically. “But I do promise to share a pillow or two and the blanket is quite long so –“

West blinked, held out a hand, regained composure, and said, “I’m not sleeping on the floor, Naomi.”

I blinked then tilted my head curiously, “You’re not?”

He seemed amused by this somehow, “I’m not.”

I frowned in confusion, “Then where…?”

In response he stretched back and kicked his slippers off. He turned around and crawled onto the bed, making himself comfortable. When he seemed to have settled, he glanced at me like a happy little boy (God he looked so cute) and a sweet playful smile spread over his lips.

I looked at him askance, “Where do I sleep!?”

To answer my question, he grinned, moved over and patted the empty space beside him.

“You’re kidding?” I said already blushing. “Right?”

He raised a brow and started moving back to occupy the entire bed, “You can sleep on the floor then.”

“No, I –“

He stopped, and again, he moved aside to give me some space. I stared at the invitation. My face felt so hot, my heart was drumming in my chest, and my hands were getting sweaty.

“Come on kitty, what are you so afraid of? I’m not going to bite you,” he teased.

My reactions grew ten times more intense. I hesitantly walked over to the bed, stared carefully at the space for me, and finally, I slowly crawled into bed and lied beside West.

There was complete and utter silence, neither of us saying a word. Until… “Your face is red.”

I squeaked and almost fell off the bed if not for West catching my arm. “Th-thanks…” I mumbled.

West chuckled, “Your face became even redder.”

“It did not,” I argued. It probably did.