A Strange Dream... Or Not

West Gray

This is so weird. Almost the strangest one I've ever had. Things faded and dissolved into many shapes taking on various colors. I could hear voices, whispering, arguing, laughing... They were muffled though. I couldn't understand anything. Well, I don't really care. I was feeling pretty relaxed, glad that my throat didn't feel so effing dry, and my head wasn't pounding my damn brain, which I would surely feel once I've woken up. Well, I was lying on some cloud thing, floating through the colorful mess and enjoying this odd place.

Yawning, I turned to my side and felt a soft yet more solid part of the cloud, sighing, I wrapped my arms around it and liked the comfortable way it felt. It reminded me of Naomi, how she felt in my arms.

But my relaxation was disrupted by a booming voice, thundering footsteps, and a shrilly annoying voice. What the bloody hell?

And then, everything started to solidify, the colors gathering towards the forming objects until they looked clearer. The cloud was still a cloud... well, not until it turned into a kitten and ran off after the shrilly voice. There was something standing by the doorway. I squinted and realized that it was a dark fox. Huh, why would I dream of that? And there were a lot of marshmallows, fluttering candies, and a... gipsy? Now where'd that come from?

Anyway, the kitten came back and I wanted to pet it, hold it, and squeeze the life out of it. It was a brown little kitten, with big blue eyes that were looking at me as if with concern. I called it, Puffball. It sorta reminded me of chocolate because of its brown fur. Wait, what is wrong with me? How can I think of a kitten as chocolate? Damn, Tyler's addiction must be rubbin' on me...

The fox looked at my little puffball and I knew that it wanted to eat it. I tried to jump in between them but something held me still. I growled at the fox and warned him not to hurt my puffball.

"How'd he catch a cold anyway?" the fox said, surprising me into silence. Whoa, it speaks.

"He went home still wet and rode his bike with an open shirt," Puffball sighed softly, her paws brushing my hair aside tenderly.

Hold on... Were they talking about me?

"Hey um about me slipping about the uh..." Puffball said uneasily.

The fox sighed. "Wish you didn't tell her."

"Sorry."

"I can't say it's okay though, I'm not sure if she's going to tell on us, use it as something to blackmail me with, or just be her good quiet self."

'I don't think she'll tell," said Puffball.

"Then you don't know her that well."

The fox crossed his arms over his chest and looked at my kitten steadily. "How do you think he'd react?" he asked.

"He might get mad again... since I didn't tell him right away... I wanted to, but," Puffball's ears drooped sadly, "I didn't want you to get in trouble." 

"Trouble?"

"He'll surely charge you or something. He'll be really mad," Puffball shrugged and then smiled warmly. "He wasn't as mature as I thought." 

"Yes, he's quite short-tempered, a bit simple-minded, childish even," said the fox. He looked like he was annoyed at himself and didn't understand why he said that. I flashed him a finger for insulting me, damn animal. I'm not simple-minded, though I admit to the short-tempered trait, but I wasn't childish. I am the eldest child and carried a lot of responsibility, I huffed. And I am a bloody great older brother. Just look at Tyler for proof!