Just Be Yourself

Naomi Carter

I woke up in West's bed. When I realized that he was awake, I sleepily rubbed my eyes and leaned up on my elbows. "Hey..." I said softly.

His eyes met mine and I realized that he was... back to normal. Panicking I rolled away, wanting to bolt to avoid his wrath. The wrath which I thought I had prepared for. Apparently, I'm mistaken.

Desperate to escape I moved so fast that, again, I was going to fall off the bed. This time, face first.

But that didn't happen.

West caught me, and though he still had a bit of his fever, he was able to get a strong grip, one arm circled around my waist. He hauled me back to him and I limply let myself be settled back next to him.

He didn't speak, nor did I.

I bit my lip, straining to get a hold on the words I practiced over and over last night.

West had regained his senses. And he was still mad at me. And I still needed to apologize. Though, I already did when he was sort of... looney, it didn't count since he just fell asleep in the middle of it.

Swallowing my fear, I forced myself to meet his gaze. I expected to see burning rage, or something close to that icy gaze he gave me at the end of our date. I was fully prepared for that, but not for the confusion and the unmistakable warmth that held me captivated and motionless.

"Naomi..." he said, and my tears spilled. "West I'm sorry about having Nick follow, I... I was being really stupid and nervous about the date b- because it was like a dream, a-and I was afraid t-that I'd do something wrong and ruin it, then y-you won't like me no more... and I---"

"Shh..." he said, pulling me into a hug. "I'm sorry," I cried.

A chuckle rumbled in his chest, ringing in my ears sweetly, "Actually I wasn't going to demand an apology."

I quickly pulled away to look up at him. "You weren't?"

He wiped a tear away, "Well, I would appreciate it if you promise me something."

I nodded vigorously making him chuckle again. "Promise me never to break your promises to me again."

I nodded again.

West patted my head and smiled at me, then his expression shifted into confusion. "Um, Naomi?"

"Yeah?"

He looked uncomfortable and uncertain. "Did... did I do something when I was... high... that I should be apologizing for?" He didn't remember anything? As in nothing at all? This is great! But...

My face heated up as the memory of his hungry kisses, the way he invaded my mouth, and the way his hands crept under my shirt... I bit my lip and then said, "No, you have nothing to apologize for."

He looked relieved, "Good," he said as his eyes twinkled with something I couldn't quite understand. He rubbed his head and coughed a little before crawling out of bed. "And I wanted to apologize as well."

I blinked, "What?"

"It was stupid of me to leave you to Nick just because I was pissed."

I just stare at him baffled. "West you were angry. Of course you'd want to be away from me to cool off. And I doubt you'd be able to do that with me clinging to you from behind on your bike."

He frowned, "Yeah, but still. I think I should've brought you home and then afterwards should have tried to cool off." I shook my head, about to argue when he said something, "But I'm not going to thank Nick for taking you. I still need to talk to him about... some stuff."