Complications

Naomi Carter

Nick told me to change. He left the room and still I just stood where I was. It took a while before I got myself to move. There was this huge lump in my throat and my chest was squeezing painfully. I've never seen West that mad. I showered in a daze and put on my earlier clothes. I fixed my stuff absently and robotically went out where Nick leaned against the wall looking at nothing in particular. I approached him and when he saw me he blinked. He sighed, taking my hand and shaking me into focus. I blinked at him and he wiped my tears, tears that I didn't know were already rolling down my cheeks. "Don't worry, that idiot will cool down and hear your explanation," he promised. I held back tears and croaked, "Why was he s-so mad...?"

Nick rolled his eyes, "Well, how would you react if you found him in the shower room with another girl, talking about you and the date?"

I must've looked really shocked because he placed his hand on my head and patted it. "He misunderstood. But... explaining the truth to him will still make him mad."

I cried. What have I done...?

Nick groaned, 'You're such a baby." But he wrapped his arms around me, giving comfort.

"I-I'm not  a b-baby!" I said crying in his chest. "I feel like crap."

Nick chuckled. "Well all this is your fault. You just couldn't go on the date normally and you just had to seek our help."

"Your help," I corrected remembering that Natt was abducted by Holly.

He laughed and rested his chin on top of my head. It felt good to have a friend right now. But as I was starting to feel light again, the image of West's icy gaze and stone cold expression brought fresh tears again. What could be going on in his head right now? Oh please don't let it be as bad as what I think he's thinking.

Nick tightened his hold and stroked my hair comfortingly. I hugged him back tightly and he seemed to have stiffened, but I think I just imagined that. When I still couldn't stop crying, Nick cupped my face and was saying something that I couldn't understand, even his face was blurry since I was trying to see him through tears.

I heard him sigh and then the next thing I knew was that his lips were against mine, kissing me in a way that caused my unfocused mind to awareness.

I didn't know what to do, and I didn't know that while my mind was spinning in confusion, my lips were kissing him back. I didn't know what to do, how to stop... I went against the idea of pushing him away, for he was important to me and I didn't know how to push him away without hurting him, plus the pool was behind him. He helped me all throughout the day and I absolutely cannot hurt him by sending him in the water.

Nick was a really good kisser. But there was something not quite there. Something was missing, unlike when I kiss West... West!

Tears flowed again and I whimpered, wishing he'd stop. He heard me and slowly broke the kiss. He was breathing hard like me, and his face was flushed, eyes confused and wouldn't meet mine.

I couldn't speak. I just stared at him, my mind a chaotic mess.

We stood there in silence for a long time. Suddenly, Nick said, "I better take you home."

I nodded and he glanced at me briefly, all I could see in them were worry and confusion.

He drove me home and parked in front of the Gray house. I didn't move from my seat. I know I needed to go in the house and talk to West. But I also had something to clear out. I turned to Nick who didn't make any saying about me getting out of his car. "Nick?" I said.