Prologue

**Sang**

After walking out of my Business Management class Friday afternoon, I take the long way around campus back to my dorm. It's a beautiful fall day here in Conway, South Carolina, nothing at all like what I'm use to this late in the year being from Illinois. My first month of college is officially over and I couldn't be happier about the decision I made to leave Illinois, and in turn my horrible family. My step-mother with her punishments, my sister and her hateful words, and my absentee father are now all in the past, where I intend to keep them.

My name is Sang Sorenson, I'm 19 years old and 5'3 with a slim frame, pale skin and dirty blonde hair that stops just below my shoulder blades. Last week for my birthday, my roommate Kayli took me to my first party and I had an amazing time. They always say that college is the place to reinvent yourself, and that exactly what I intend to do. Goodbye to the shy, quiet, and meek girl from Illinois, and say hello to a confident, outspoken, and slightly less shy young woman. I've never considered myself beautiful, but after Kayli took me shopping our first week here, I have to say that I finally feel comfortable in my own skin.

I owe my new transformation, and outlook on life to my roommate and new best friend Kayli Winchester. She's slightly taller than me, standing at 5'6, with Green eyes and long dark brown hair that hangs to the middle of her back, with a fit, slim frame. The whole first week of school we did nothing but bond and share our past experiences. We figured if we're going to be living together, we might as well get to know each other. It turns out that Kayli is a lot like me. Her dad was an abusive drunk and she told me that once she got her brother out of their shared hotel room, she was as good as gone. That's exactly what she did, and I couldn't be more amazed at her strength and courage. Anytime I feel myself slipping back into the girl I use to be Kayli stands me in front of the full length mirror behind our dorm room door and reminds me that I'm not her anymore, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Our dorm room is a bit bigger than my old bedroom back at my parent's house, our twin beds are placed flat against the walls when you walk in, mine on the right, hers on the left. In front of our beds we have a small walk in closet for each of us, they don't have much space but there is more than enough room for someone as small as I am. Past our beds are our desks that face each other, with a little walking space in-between in front of the big bay window. That has to be my favorite part of our room. On cloudless nights I'll sit in the window and just watch the moon and the stars, it's probably the only thing that I've kept with me from Illinois, my star gazing. Finally arriving back at my dorm building, I climb up to the 3rd floor and walk the twisted hallways to my room while contemplating which book to curl up to in the window tonight.